First Ubuntu Smartphone To Focus On 'Scopes' Rather Than Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete7890

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
No one is going to buy this. When I last read about the Ubuntu smartphone, it was supposed to be about bridging the gap between Ubuntu desktop and mobile platforms. Why am I now reading that this product has deteriorated, according to painfully clichéd advertising drivel ("engaging experience"?!) that this platform is now basically a smartphone Jitterbug? I would be humiliated to work for Ubuntu and release a product that matches the description in this article.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Maybe they just didn't show the desktop. the rest of it looks pretty polished for Ubuntu. someone typing sudo stuff in terminal in some exotic location would look scary for people not into Linux.
other than that, they already have scopes but on my windows phone they're app folders and i'm sure the larger os's have them too. it would be neat to switch desktops like Ubuntu though. or be able to do more desktop stuff. I hope it's there somewhere.
but personally, I stopped using Linux when windows 8 came out. all of my os related issues, even with the older computers I checked, were gone!

randomizer

Champion
When I last read about the Ubuntu smartphone, it was supposed to be about bridging the gap between Ubuntu desktop and mobile platforms.

Are you referring to the Ubuntu Edge? If so, that was targeted to another market. That thing was a developer-oriented device that would have been used as a playground for Canonical's "convergence" ideas. It didn't get enough support. Unfortunately for Canonical, the "convergence" idea is no longer new, and they've probably missed the boat again. Maybe they gave up on the software side for that too and that's why we have this scopes idea, but I think Mozilla is already doing something similar in Firefox OS.

ToastJ

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Sure, it's got low end specs. Sure, it's cheap. But it's Ubuntu. I fully support all Linux distros, but this is probably my favorite. Hopefully this product won't be lost, it's got potential.

G

"make money by partnering with the services from their default Scopes"

That's exactly why I and millions of people dumped Ubuntu. Who wants to be bombarded with advertisements every time you look for an app?

skopski

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
if ubuntu make no bloatware NO mallware no marketing popUPs in app policy they or someone else who wil make this (and someone will) want to compete with the others i think winnig formula is give people simple os no unnwanted apps no popups and you have a winner
70 % from people i now will join You desparate people CLEAN Software you win or you change the world of Smart?phones stop annoying spying software you win

Sep 28, 2013
I like the idea that it comes with plane android 4.4.4 and no bloatware and the price, according to BQ.com, is 199.90€ which for me is a little high with the specs offered. Also, I noticed on the site it offers a 13MP rear camera although this article list it as 8MP. 13 seems more realistic. Another thing I noticed is that is does offer an 8GB and a 16GB version, but only the 16GB version had an option for 2GB RAM. These last 2 cost 229.90€ and 249.90€ respectively. If Canonical wants more people to know their OS then they should have more competitive pricing since they will not be able o offer a competitive app library as Android or iOS. I am interested in this phone now, but I would have bought one for sure if specs were a little better or the price more competitive.

fabienio1

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
After all it is not necessarily the price that make the difference, even if we are not going to hide it, it hangs in the balance. Take a Fire Phone from Amazon, expensive and no with real promise, it will not sell. The originality of the Ubuntu Phone, resides as the name says on its operating system.

<< Links removed by Moderator>>

Status
Not open for further replies.