First Virtuix Omni Treadmills Leave Production Facility, Price Hike Imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I'm the market for something like this, but I just can't see this being a better experience than room-scale + teleport.

This puts you right back in a situation where your inner-ear knows you're not moving when the world around you is. Being strapped in, scuffing your feet on the floor seems a lot less natural than running around a room.

I guess this could be useful for extremely space-limited people, but then it's going to take up space when not in use, which would be a problem in a small apartment.

I would have gone for something like this if room-scale didn't happen, but now it seems like a throwback to '90s VR.

squashguy1

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
@JEFF - this is a common misconception about the Omni. In fact it does give your inner ear the acceleration it needs to think you're walking. Thanks to the harness, you lean forward when you want to walk forwards, backwards to walk backwards, etc. The head movement experienced as you lean is enough for the vesitbular system to detect acceleration. The problem you speak of does apply to other locomotion systems such as the Wizdish and 'run in place' where there is no harness and you stand perfectly upright. The Omni lets you run - otherwise impossible in a room. It also means no more chaperone lines and no more reliance on teleporting - both hugely damaging to fun and immersion.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

I see it this way, in the example of that one shooting gallery game
you get to move around an at best 10 foot by 10 foot area,
omni will get you to enter the pick out your guns, then head back into the range, and shoot, all in just as much space as the omni takes up.

the biggest issue would be you are taking out the whole duck and cover game play you can get with current vr games

Jothay

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
I tried this at a convention they were participating it, you actually still have plenty of crouch and squat play, but if you are trying to recreate Gears of War back to a short wall it doesn't really do that.

kryojenix

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I notice that Cyberith Virtualizer's facebook page has become active again, promoting shopping centre demos in a few cities around the world. And there are some press materials on their website. But no information about pricing or availability. It looks like an overall slightly better system than Virtuix Omni, but without any info on when and how much, what to do? ...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

there's not enough to have a lot of fun with dodging games like the space pirate trainer or hover junkers, sure you can probably get look around a corner or slight ducks with this, but its not the same kind of movement that would make those games really fun.

the space required for them is also why im 100% convinced room scale is going to die, we will have some form of treadmill going forward, it may be possible that a suspension system becomes the highest end vr setup, though how it would work i don't know.

room scale, as in actual room scale, will happen in the future when room mapping and wearables are more advanced.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Careful about recommending them. If you read the kickstarter forum people are getting together for a law suit against them for fraud.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

able to give a quick rundown of their claims?

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
From what I read it's basically a fraud case. They promised something, took money and have failed to deliver. I didn't get too into it. Read enough to not give them any of my money though.

kryojenix

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Yowza! What a price hike! Glad I pre-ordered in time. Thanks for the tip, Tom's!
Re:Cyberith Virtualizer - it could be a fraud, they've recently re-organised their site and have public demos (in countries that I'm not in). It may be that they're aiming to target the commercial market first (i.e. video-game arcades), possibly due to the cost. But, yes, I wouldn't commit funds to that without much more concrete availability data. Hope I get my Omni soon! (Hope they don't all support Trump as well!)

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Wow your not kidding. Well no one is really going to buy it at that price.
I love my Vive but we need content so badly. We really need XBone and PS4 to start pushing VR games out so they come to PC as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.