First water cooled build, rigid tubing

Aeterna Tenebrae

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to build water cooled rig here, my first one with water cooling to be honest, so I want to know your opinions on my choice.
Rig:
ASUS RVE
i7 5930k
64 Gb DDR4
2x GTX 1080Ti (When they will be released)
OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 480 Gb pci-e ssd (System&apps)
WD Black 6 Tb hdd (Storage)
ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Corsair HX1200i PSU (Custom blue cables)
All that stuff in Corsair Obsidian 900D
Water cooling:
EK ASUS RVE Monoblock (Clear/nickel)
2x EK blocks for RAM (Clear/nickel)
2x EK blocks for videocards (Clear/nickel)
2x XSPC Photon 270 reservoir/pump combos
(Pumps are Laing D5)
2x Aquacomputer AMS 480 (Aluminum fins) rads
1x Aquacomputer AR 140 (Also aluminum fins) rad
2x draining valves
Tubing will be rigid clear OR clear/UV active blue.
Liquid will be distilled water with blue dye.
I want you to share your opinions on what can be done better.

Solution

You will not have any mixing issues since everything that comes in contact with liquid is copper or nickel...
Well your going to have a hell of a time, EK blocks are copper and your rads are aluminum. those two metals dont mix well with each other. I would look at XSPC radiators.

Your build can get away with 1 480mm radiator, 2 480mm and a 140mm is just overkill.
Ram waterblocks are really for show and are not needed at all.
While dyes look cool it will stain all of your tubes and parts, i ran a red dye in one of my builds and to this day the radiators still give off a pink color when i run any loops through them.

Aeterna Tenebrae

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
When I thought about building a water cooled rig, I intended overkill. As for the RAM blocks - I intended for it to be FULLY water cooled.
There will be 2 loops:
1st:
RAM>140 rad> CPU>480 rad;
2nd:
GPUs> 480 rad
All rads will be configured in push-pull, so there will be 21 fan in total. About dye: red is the nastiest of all to the rads, blue should do better I think. All waterblocks will be nickel plated, how nickel and aluminum go with each other? If not well either then I could go with Aquacomputer's copper ones.
I won't use rads of any other brand because Aquacomputer's are the best ones in terms of cooling performance.

He will not have any issue since tubes in radiator (the part that has contact with liquid) are copper. Only fins are aluminium.

You will not have any mixing issues since everything that comes in contact with liquid is copper or nickel.
Your amount of rads is a complete overkill. And the CPU loop needs much less.
So here are basic rules:
1. at least 120mm rad per component. CPU+RAM - 240 is more than enough. 480 is a nice to have overkill. Liquid cooling for the RAM is a waste of everything - good only for the "wow" factor
2. GPU loop is also overkill: 360 is more than enough with a lot of headroom.
So get rid of the 140 rad. Pack all this to a smaller case like Fractal Design Define S. With 2x360 rads. You can also make all them one loop and it will still be fine.
The order of the loop is NOT important. after the loop is equalized you have less than 1C difference of liquid temperature between hottest and coldest point. res->pump is the only must. Do the shortest rout.
Personally, I made a mistake when I went with colored liquid at the beginning. Distilled water is the best thing out there.
And I strongly suggest to go soft tubing for the first time.
Check the JayzTwoCents channel on youtube. He has done a lot of interesting videos/guides related to water cooling.

Solution

Aeterna Tenebrae

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
If 140 rad doesn't matter then better for me, I could go with soft tubing but...I just can't tear my eyes from the looks of those clean angles of rigid. Anything can be for the first time, so I don't see a problem here. Case will be 900d as I already have it and I like it much more then my HAF X. The best thing for me in 900d is it's modularity - I can build whatever I want in it without thinking of "not enough space for" problem.
As for the rads...I'm not so sure anymore about AC AMS 480, I thought it is the best of all in terms of performance. Or should I use 480mm Monstas instead? I plan on moving to 10 core i7 7950x or 8950x in the future and to add 2 more videocards for 4-way SLI, so 480s will be just in place. It will be mostly a workstation build (gaming also but not too much) as I'll become a programmer after 2 more years of studying. And I'll need that beast for heavy 3d modelling. My dream is to make video games and if I'll proceed to study as I'm now, I'll probably fulfill my dream.

I'll start from the end:
Nvidia does not support 4 way SLI anymore (except for enthusiast key) since the scaling beyond 2 cards is awful - so just buy your girlfriend something nice instead :)
Any 480 rad will be good for any CPU - it needs to dissipate less than 250watts (no overclocked CPU will do 250watt).
You can go with rigid tubes for the visible part. just remember, you will need to drain and disassemble the loop to do any change. For example changing CPU. I love the flexibility of the soft tubing loops. It's so much easier to maintain, and if done right looks awesome. for the best ever looking - go with glass tubes.

Aeterna Tenebrae

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Maybe there is still support for 4-way SLI in the professional market, I mean their Quadro line, if not then I'll probably stick to the 2-way 1080Tis or 2-way GP-102 based Quadro SLI. The system will have 2 valves for the drainage so there's nothing to worry about. Glass has the best looks, but it's fragile, and not only that - I'll need a lot more fittings to assemble all of the tubing, so I'll just stick to the acrylic. And thanks for the info about rads. XSPC' s RX and Alphacool's Monstas are great, but they are way too thick, and of all of 60mm of thickness Aquacomputer's are the best.

There is a support. You just have to go to their site and get enthusiast key.
But the point is that 3 way SLI is not scaling. Like you will have 10% over 2 way. 4 way is even worse and you can have negative impact.
You welcome.
60 is thick. 30-45 are the best to have quite system.

TRENDING THREADS