First Wave Of Steam Machines Arrives In October

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS4, Xbox, prepare to be defeated!! :p

I like that PC is now going into the console realm. And these don't just have to be consoles, if you want you could use these as half PC/half console if need be. There are so many advantages to having a full PC.

I personally would build my own steam machine instead. :)

Considering that most games are releasing on PC as well as consoles and PC has its own massive event at E3 this year AND that there are currently more PC games being developed than console I think it will compete very well.

It doesn't take much to equal the quality of a PS4 and with the next set of GPUs and CPUs coming soon, I think people will flock to be able to get PC quality at their TV screen.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

I like that PC is now going into the console realm. And these don't just have to be consoles, if you want you could use these as half PC/half console if need be. There are so many advantages to having a full PC.

I was in the Gaming forum and some guy wrote that he had issues running AC: Black Flag on a low to midrange PC.

This is what this PC will be in 2 years.

I am too old to play the fanboy game, but it's silly not to try and understand why people like consoles.

1) My $1500 Steam Machine kicks your $400 PS4 to the curb, dude!!

2) Yay, I dropped Windows and saved a few bucks. Now I can play a small fraction of the Steam games on SteamOS.

3) Stream my Windows 10 PC to my HDTV (via ethernet) using a $50 Steam Link??

Yes, please!

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I just don't get the reason behind these.
It's not a set hardware so they can be optimised for. They are just a PC so why bother buying a PC called a steam box or what ever.
I understand the push for Steam OS but anyone could use it. Valve just need to encourage developers to release a linux version and people would naturally start using it because it's free.
I don't know anyone that would ever buy one of these. They are either complete PC novice and would just buy a console for their gaming or they know how to use a PC and would just get a PC with Windows.

gravewax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

I can't see these even competing with xbox and playstation let alone defeating them. They are too expensive, lack the benefits of a fixed hardware spec and come default with an OS that means you can't even use all steam games.

I can't see these even competing with xbox and playstation let alone defeating them. They are too expensive, lack the benefits of a fixed hardware spec and come default with an OS that means you can't even use all steam games.

Ill have to agree with you on the games part.

However, PC graphics look a million times better. and at 60fps.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
To be honest, I really don't think these are going to take off. The console gamer crowd are already focussed on their consoles and don't even know these Steam boxes exist and the PC crowd prefers to game at a desk on their PCs so aren't going to be interested.

Urumiko

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Steam Link is the big news for me, a simple £40 box that lets you use all of the beef of your existing gaming rig.

I just think its madness that nvidia TV is it's direct competitor and they are not announcing gamestream compatibility in order to push the cloud gaming stuff... madness.

if steam link add in a remote desktop or netflix app i'll buy one for every TV in the house.

Daniel Ladishew

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Steam Machines are just consoles for the living room with the potential for PC gaming quality. This is going to be a niche market that will probably NOT include anyone who already owns either a console (which is cheaper) or a computer capable of playing games (which will have more options). Where Steam Machines will shine is: ease of use (See casual gamers), cheaper games (See Steam sales), and those very few people who want a way to game in every room of their house (See larger families).

mattji104

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015
I just don't think that enough living rooms have 120-144hz tvs, or that these will provide enough power to drop those frames. Anyway, hopefully they manage 120hz so people can't look back into PlayStation or XBox. I'd rather 720p 120hz than 1080p 30hz any day.

I thought those 120hz and 240hz refresh rates on TV's were a gimmick?

dstarr3

Distinguished
I agree with many here, do we realy need a 4th or 5th console?

The problem is that of the three consoles already on the market, only one of them isn't a shameful disappointment. It's not that we need a 4th console on the market, it's that we need a console on the market that actually works and offers us the "next-gen" experience that Sony and Microsoft were wanking on about for months and months prior to release, then failed to deliver.

mattji104

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015

I'm definitely not an expert, but from what I've gathered it's a gimmick more in that there's no content to take advantage of it, so it winds up just repeating frames. But if you can blast some PC power @ 120fps into a 120hz tv, I've assumed it would play 120 different frames, just at a slower response rate than a monitor, but with better color etc.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Million times? I just played Black Flag on Xbox One and playing Inquisition on PC, they look very similar.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

What did you expect from the consoles, if you compare same game on last gen to this gen consoles they do look better. What exactly are you disappointed in?

dstarr3

Distinguished

Abysmal performance. We're marching onto 4K resolutions now, and the "latest, greatest" console generation still can't do 1080p. Meanwhile, PCs, and even the Wii U are doing just fine at 1080p.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

What 4K? LOL

Dude to play in 4K you nee to have 980 TI that alone costs as much as 2 consoles. How did you expect a consoles that came out 2 years ago to come with a GPU that is as large as half the console and cost 2 times as much? That's not even remotely realistic.

Steam collects data on all users and publishes it for free

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

People who have Steam are gamers and tend to have by far better tech gear than regular people, of these people less that 1% play games on 4K displays. Look under Primary Display Resolution, it's 0.06%, PCs just now firmly adopting 1080P.

Let's say somehow magically 2 years ago Microsoft stuffed two nVidia Titans (that cost $1,000 each) into the Xbox well 4K TVs make up like 6%-10% of TV sales, so chances are if you have a console that can run 4K your TV can not display that.

4K gaming is a pipedream because vast majority of people will not pay $500+ for a GPU and $500 for a monitor. 4K will take off once you can buy a $200 GPU and a $200 monitor, that will take probably 4-5 years..............just in time for new consoles.

There's a huge difference between being able to do something on a PC as a big cost to being able to do something in a small form factor at $300+ price.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
PS according to the Steam survey the most popular GPU people use is.............................GTX9......no, it's Intel Integrated Graphics. lol

But as far as consoles not being 1080P, that is inexcusable, i agree 100% on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS