First wireless network

Just trying to setup my first wireless setup. Doesn't want to work. I tried
every combination under the sun, nothing. I can connect fine, just will not
get IP address from AP DHCP. Wired works flawlessly, only wireless is a
problem. Keep getting that stupid autocnfiguration IP. Even when I manually
set the IP info, can't ping anything.

Windows XP Pro SP1
Microsoft MN-500 AP
D-Link DWL-G650 PCMCIA

Is there something obvious I am missing?

Steve

---

"Steve Mackie" <steve.mackie@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Just trying to setup my first wireless setup. Doesn't want to work. I
tried
> every combination under the sun, nothing. I can connect fine, just will
not
> get IP address from AP DHCP. Wired works flawlessly, only wireless is a
> problem. Keep getting that stupid autocnfiguration IP. Even when I
manually
> set the IP info, can't ping anything.
>
> Windows XP Pro SP1
> Microsoft MN-500 AP
> D-Link DWL-G650 PCMCIA
>
> Is there something obvious I am missing?
>
> Steve

Access-Points don't have DHCP servers, but the Microsoft MN-500 is a
wireless router, so that's not the problem. Most likely it's a problem with
your encryption configuration. Trying getting connected using a
configuration as close to factory defaults as possible. Then make just 1 or
2 changes at a time, and make sure that the connection still works each
time.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

> > Windows XP Pro SP1
> > Microsoft MN-500 AP
> > D-Link DWL-G650 PCMCIA
> >
> Access-Points don't have DHCP servers, but the Microsoft MN-500 is a
> wireless router, so that's not the problem. Most likely it's a problem
with
> your encryption configuration. Trying getting connected using a
> configuration as close to factory defaults as possible. Then make just 1
or
> 2 changes at a time, and make sure that the connection still works each
> time.

Been there done that. What found is that if I change the keys on one end,
it doesn't even connect at all. Once the keys are the same it connects.
Right now WEP is turned off completely. It doesn't seem to matter what I do,
just doesn't want to get an IP address. There has to be something bigger
than just settings on the router/card. Keys are the same, channel is the
same, SSID is the same blah blah blah. I can connnect, just no IP.

And why can't I sniff the packets on the wireless card?

Steve

---