[SOLVED] First Workstation/gaming PC

alexste233958

Commendable
Jul 2, 2018
Good day community,

(You Can Skip the Entry)

I will begin by stating that this is my 3rd build ever and I'm super stoked but conflicted, you see my first build was... never up too par, I ended up way over spending for a bottle neck heavy device, I later upgraded but at the price of more dough, my next build was for my wife which went okay, I just used parts from my OG build and replaced what was missing... costing a few hundred "not too shabby... until the toddler got loose" but I digress, onto why were here, a while back I wanted all the bells and whistles... like a Titan XP and the newest Ryzen at the time... I was literally throwing money away..... I don't want to do that again.

(Skip too here)

The point is I don't want to waste money again, I want too know what I'm doing my, idea is a "Hidden" Workstation (Kinda Lied about the money in a way)
In the past few years I've developed a knack for "3d Rendering" and "Animation" All in the name of game development, I am struggling to determine if the GPU or CPU is more important if CPU should I go with a Ryzen 9 5950x ($1,100) or an Intel I9 11900k ($850) or just go on the cheap end and get a Intel i9 10900k ($450) Or just say screw it and get the Ryzen threadripper

Or if its GPU should I go with "duel SLI 1080 ti" or just say screw it and get the RTX 3090, the reason being render speed plus gaming capabilitie, I currently own the Titan XP that I could Use for SLI With another, But will it be worth it?

I want my renders and animations to be quick, but also to be able to game when I feel like it , some advice from Pros would do me great, I know i'm shooting for bells and whistles again, that's why I'm reaching out. thank you for your time.

RealBeast

Titan
Adobe Premiere Pro or Davinci Resolve Studio?

The answer is opposite for the two programs.

Premiere Pro is CPU intensive and Adobe claims that 8 cores gets you about 95% of possible performance. I use PP myself and my GPU is only a 1080Ti, which is fine.

DaVinci will utilize additional GPUs to offload processing and its bottleneck will be the GPU if you have a decent CPU.

And with either fast storage, preferably dual NVMe -- one for the OS and program and one for a distinct and separate scratch disk.

alexste233958

Commendable
Jul 2, 2018
okay, I see whay you're saying, thanks that actually helped a lot with the GPU... but the CPU is kinda the issue, are you recommending anything more then 8-cores? I'm trying to save hours not seconds so... I really don't need the juciest beast on the market, I'm not sure if getting a 16 core 32 thread vice 10 core 20 thread will save me time or just money?

alexste233958

Commendable
Jul 2, 2018
The 10850k / 10900k or a 3900x / 5900x is usually the sweetsop for price to performance regarding the previously mentioned programs. If you need to save some money a 10700k or a 3700x / 3800x are a really good value and will be performant while gaming as well.
Okay, Well thank you very much for the help, I think that influenced my decision, I'll probably go with 5900x with duel 1080 ti to help render time and system performance, thank you both, a second opinion always helps

Reactions: helper800

TRENDING THREADS