[SOLVED] First Workstation/gaming PC

alexste233958

Commendable
Jul 2, 2018
Good day community,

(You Can Skip the Entry)

I will begin by stating that this is my 3rd build ever and I'm super stoked but conflicted, you see my first build was... never up too par, I ended up way over spending for a bottle neck heavy device, I later upgraded but at the price of more dough, my next build was for my wife which went okay, I just used parts from my OG build and replaced what was missing... costing a few hundred "not too shabby... until the toddler got loose" but I digress, onto why were here, a while back I wanted all the bells and whistles... like a Titan XP and the newest Ryzen at the time... I was literally throwing money away..... I don't want to do that again.

(Skip too here)

The point is I don't want to waste money again, I want too know what I'm doing my, idea is a "Hidden" Workstation (Kinda Lied about the money in a way)
In the past few years I've developed a knack for "3d Rendering" and "Animation" All in the name of game development, I am struggling to determine if the GPU or CPU is more important if CPU should I go with a Ryzen 9 5950x ($1,100) or an Intel I9 11900k ($850) or just go on the cheap end and get a Intel i9 10900k ($450) Or just say screw it and get the Ryzen threadripper

Or if its GPU should I go with "duel SLI 1080 ti" or just say screw it and get the RTX 3090, the reason being render speed plus gaming capabilitie, I currently own the Titan XP that I could Use for SLI With another, But will it be worth it?

I want my renders and animations to be quick, but also to be able to game when I feel like it , some advice from Pros would do me great, I know i'm shooting for bells and whistles again, that's why I'm reaching out. thank you for your time.

Solution
CPU: AMD is the choice here for "3d Rendering" and "Animation", at this time . If it is more of a hobby, making a little money with it, I would stick with the Ryzen 9 5950x. If this is your work, the Ryzen Threadripper is the choice based on your budget. If you are Intel fan, the older i9 10900K is better with the high core / thread count for that activity. Depending on timing, you may be better off waiting to later this year for Alder Lake which is suppose to be a big performance boast over what is out now for either AMD and Intel.

GPU: Monitor resolution is the key for this. Any of the new Nvidia or AMD cards will do well in the "3d Rendering" and "Animation" aspect but which one depends on resolution. RTX 3090 is way over...

tecmo34

Administrator
CPU: AMD is the choice here for "3d Rendering" and "Animation", at this time . If it is more of a hobby, making a little money with it, I would stick with the Ryzen 9 5950x. If this is your work, the Ryzen Threadripper is the choice based on your budget. If you are Intel fan, the older i9 10900K is better with the high core / thread count for that activity. Depending on timing, you may be better off waiting to later this year for Alder Lake which is suppose to be a big performance boast over what is out now for either AMD and Intel.

GPU: Monitor resolution is the key for this. Any of the new Nvidia or AMD cards will do well in the "3d Rendering" and "Animation" aspect but which one depends on resolution. RTX 3090 is way over kill on anything under 1440P. You would be suited well with either a 3070 or 3080 in those aspects at that resolution of 1440p or less.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I agree, I'd go for the 5950X as it's the best combination of price / performance out there currently, at least for a consumer level CPU. The only thing up from there would be something like an i9-9980XE or TR4-3990X and then we're talking spending $3,000+ on a CPU and I would only recommend that for professional uses. There's also a new Intel enthusiast / professional line coming soon I think.