[SOLVED] Fit a GPU in a 1u case

Mar 24, 2020
Hello, i recently buyed a server HP proliant DL160G6 with 2 x5660 and 16 gb of ram for only 130€, the problem is that i have in mind to use it as a normal desktop (for games and so) so i will need to fit a GPU in there somehow, the power supply is 750W so i don't think that there's too much to worry and the power supply already have some free molex cables for the alimentation, at this point my money is pretty much finished so i can't afford fancy solutions (like buy another server or so, but i can afford a new case if it's necessary), i want to ask is there's some way to modify the case to fit a GPU or something like that, i really would like to not have to move all the components to another case if it's possible since i'm a fanatic and i really like how the case looks.

Solution
It is a 593347 001 motherboard, but a riser wouldn't affect the performance of the GPU?
And if i put the GPU outside the case i will have to modify the case in order to make the cables for the 6pin connector fit right?
risers dont affect performance
linus tech tips made a video where they chained 3 or so meters of it and it ran smoothly.
you will have to either modify the case, or find an opening where the cable will fit through.
If it has 2 expansion slots, it probably just needs a riser (pcie extension, thermaltake has the fancy kind, but you can get much cheaper, functional ones.

if it doesnt have expansion slots, make ones. you can use a dremel and a file, just remember to clean up all the metal shards.

you could also just
put the gpu outside the case with a 1 meter riser.

Reactions: MetallicBox
Mar 24, 2020
If it has 2 expansion slots, it probably just needs a riser (pcie extension, thermaltake has the fancy kind, but you can get much cheaper, functional ones.

if it doesnt have expansion slots, make ones. you can use a dremel and a file, just remember to clean up all the metal shards.

you could also just
put the gpu outside the case with a 1 meter riser.
It is a 593347 001 motherboard, but a riser wouldn't affect the performance of the GPU?
And if i put the GPU outside the case i will have to modify the case in order to make the cables for the 6pin connector fit right?

risers dont affect performance
linus tech tips made a video where they chained 3 or so meters of it and it ran smoothly.
you will have to either modify the case, or find an opening where the cable will fit through.

Solution