Question Fit mid-2011 iMac 27” internals into a mini-atx case ?

hidekelip

Honorable
Jun 8, 2015
Hello, fine people.

I’ve come across an old mid-2011 iMac 27” computer that has everything working (it is getting an SSD). However, the aluminum housing of the main body has some dents that would require fixing. But before I do that, does anyone have experience or know-how to advise me how to go about grabbing the internals of this iMac and transfer them to a pc case (like a mini atx, perhaps)? Of course the display would need to be mounted separately, or something. I know the layout of Mac logic boards and their components aren’t the same as standard pc motherboards, but perhaps there is a case out there that could house the internals with some work put into it?

Might be a fool’s errand, but just wondering if it’s doable ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Long as you don't mind adding your own standoffs and hacking up parts of the case, I don't see why not.

How bad is the original case? If you don't mind roughing that up you can probably get a uniform look to it, maybe take a ball peen hammer and just cover the whole thing in dents, maybe paint it a matte color. I've restored some old beige monsters by painting their main parts black and leaving the panel covers the original plastic, makes an interesting look.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS