[SOLVED] Fitting an additional exhaust fan - on top or on the side?

Apr 7, 2020
Afternoon All,
mCXbbG.jpg

After some advice please. Recently purchased a PC someone had built from ebay, i have upgraded the CPU from AMD Ryzen 5 1600 to a 2600x.

Playing pretty much any game the PC gets really hot, like the case is on the verge of being too hot to touch.

I was concerned i had messed up the thermal paste on the CPU as the temps i was getting via HWiNFO were concerning. It got up to 93 deg C last night!

So i did a little test and removed the side acrylic panel and played the games again and i measured mid to low 70 deg C: this tells me my cooling is inadequate.

The case is a Cylon Mini Tempered Glass case with 1 x 120mm fan at the front, 1 x 80mm exhaust fan at rear. The top of the case has a vent cut out with magnetic dust guard.

My plan is to replace the single 120mm intake fan with 2 x Noctua NFP12 redux-900 and the rear exhaust fan with a Noctua NF-A9 92mm.

I still don't think this will be enough and i am considering either mounting an additional fan either in the top of the case and make use of the pre exsisting vent or on the side acrylic panel.

My preference would be the top, as the heat rises and it will sturdier but i can't fit a 120mm fan there as the connections on the top of the mobo get in the way.

What should i do? Just move the old 80mm extract fan to the top or cut a 120m hole on the side acrylic panel? Or just replace the fans as i listed above and wait to see if that is adequate?

Cheers for your help.

Solution
Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX: only comes with 1 fan though, and the acrylic window is easily scratched. The tempered glass version appears to be out of stock.
Aerocool Aero One Mini Eclipse MicroATX: the REVIEW of this case appears to be pretty good. Your current motherboard probably doesn't support the ARGB LEDs, but the fans should still run without it.
Deepcool MATREXX 55 MESH ATX: no fans included in this one, so that'll offset the cost. Tempered glass window
RIOTORO CR400 ATX: 2 fans included here, and acrylic window
Fractal Design Focus G ATX: 2 included fans, acrylic window
RIOTORO CR488 ATX: 2 fans included, acrylic window
Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX: 2 fans...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Get a brand new chassis. That's the best thing you can do for cooling.
Your options in the Cylon Mini are too limited, and aren't enough to make a difference in temps - only 3 fan mounts: 2 front, and 1 rear.

I'm surprised the gpu isn't baking in that case, but you didn't report temps for that, so...

Apr 7, 2020
Get a brand new chassis. That's the best thing you can do for cooling.
Your options in the Cylon Mini are too limited, and aren't enough to make a difference in temps - only 3 fan mounts: 2 front, and 1 rear.

I'm surprised the gpu isn't baking in that case, but you didn't report temps for that, so...

GPU max temp is up to about 85 deg c.

Any particular case you would recommend?

Apr 7, 2020
85C is a little too warm.

Currency? Total budget?
Trying to keep a specific form factor - ATX, M-ATX, M-ITX, etc.?

Ive got a B350 mobo which i think is micro atx. GBP, as cheap as possible. Not bothered if it doesn't flash like Jimmy Saville after a few whiskeys.

Just as long as it keeps everything cool.

Thanks for the pointers!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX: only comes with 1 fan though, and the acrylic window is easily scratched. The tempered glass version appears to be out of stock.
Aerocool Aero One Mini Eclipse MicroATX: the REVIEW of this case appears to be pretty good. Your current motherboard probably doesn't support the ARGB LEDs, but the fans should still run without it.
Deepcool MATREXX 55 MESH ATX: no fans included in this one, so that'll offset the cost. Tempered glass window
RIOTORO CR400 ATX: 2 fans included here, and acrylic window
Fractal Design Focus G ATX: 2 included fans, acrylic window
RIOTORO CR488 ATX: 2 fans included, acrylic window
Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX: 2 fans included, acrylic window
Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 (w/o ODD) MicroATX: 2 fans included, TG window
Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX: 1 fan included, TG window
Phanteks ECLIPSE P350X ATX: 1 fan included, TG window
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX: 2 fans included, acrylic window
Phanteks Eclipse P360X ATX: 1 fan included, TG window
Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX: 2 fans included, TG window

I think I got a little carried away...
The cases should be in ascending order(going down).

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's a pretty versatile SFF case. I've got nothing against it. Only comes with a single 200mm fan in the front.
You have the option of horizontal or vertical motherboard layout, which is nice, but be careful with the horizontal layout and fan cooled graphics cards - there's no grille there, so airflow is reduced.