Question Fitting an old AM2/3 cooler on a lga1200 socket mobo, doable?

Blappae

Commendable
Dec 31, 2021
Hi, I'm building a PC on socket 1200. I have this fairly old cooler which was designed to work with AM2/AM3 sockets with those clasps on the side but also originally came with a bracket/frame thing allowing it to be mounted on LGA775 and possibly some other legacy Intel socket mobos. I would love to fit it on the new build too, I'm not sure how to accomplish this, especially that company that produced it went out of commission somewhere along the way, so I can forget about any official compability kits. Is it doable? What would I have to shop for?

I want to do this because heatsinks don't really age and this one is easily equivalent of four-heatpipe ones in the $45-$50 price range. Would be a big (literally) shame to have it go to waste. Seems it fits an AM4 socket as well, but it's not what I'm getting.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi, I'm building a PC on socket 1200. I have this fairly old cooler which was designed to work with AM2/AM3 sockets with those clasps on the side but also originally came with a bracket/frame thing allowing it to be mounted on LGA775 and possibly some other legacy Intel socket mobos. I would love to fit it on the new build too, I'm not sure how to accomplish this, especially that company that produced it went out of commission somewhere along the way, so I can forget about any official compability kits. Is it doable? What would I have to shop for?

I want to do this because heatsinks don't really age and this one is easily equivalent of four-heatpipe ones in the $45-$50 price range. Would be a big (literally) shame to have it go to waste. Seems it fits an AM4 socket as well, but it's not what I'm getting.
A 775 bracket will not work for sure.
posting a link to the cooler would help.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Bit tricky with the company being defunct. Official specs are at wayback machine but images weren't archived, here's a nice shot of the base off google images.

And just so it's in the open, it's a Pentagram Freezone HP-120 Karakorum.
You can try it but probably going to need a new cooler since the mounting pattern was not even out when the cooler was made.

What processor are you going to buy?

Reactions: Blappae

Blappae

Commendable
Dec 31, 2021
Well at least you can use the stock cooler till you can get a better one.
I'm out of the loop, Intel did have quite a rep for it stock coolers couple of years back. It's not like I'm trying to push any limits either, so if I won't find any way to make it work (honestly most likely) I'll grab some kind of a tower cooler - if only for the reduction in noise compared to the stock one. It is what it is.

Thanks for the help!