Fitting the H50 inside my case

Status
Not open for further replies.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I am not sure what I am actually asking here, or if I am just venting trying to think of a solution to my problem.

A while back I started using a modded bios on my Acer e380. It gives me over clocking options, but until recently I didn't really try to overclock my cpu. I did up the voltage on my ram, and can install more than 4gb which was over the limit for my former bios.

I decided to give overclocking a trying and found that it does bad things to my cpu temps (I know this is no big surprise).

In my quest to scrape a few more fps out for playing WoW I decided to get a cooling solution so that I can OC the cpu. I had seen the H50 and like products but had not really though about it till I saw they were on sale at Best Buy for 45 dollars. I always like a good deal, so I got it. I don't know if I didn't do enough homework or what, but I don't see any way I can fit this thing into my case. I have a place for an 80mm fan and that's about it. I read some where a suggestion someone had for mounting the H50 outside the case, but that doesn't seem ideal (for one I have cats that like to go behind my computer a lot).

Am I stuck getting a new case? If I do have to get a new case then my 45 dollar deal just turned into a 100 dollar or more ordeal.

Solution
A little while ago I had my system OC'ed about 8% to 2.5 GHz, but it crashed I don't think it was a heat issue... not sure what it was really, I may have my video card overclocked a little bit too much.

I asked you to look inside your case and see if you have anything that looks like this around your cpu socket

asusM2N32wsPro_m3.jpg

or this

mosfetHS.jpg

if you don't which I'm VERY SURE you don't - then back off the overclocking. When you'll learn of the problems with heat , that OC'ing damages hardware not mean't for OC'ing then you can kiss all the inner hardware goodbye - but then again you can start...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Cut a new hole in a side panel, top of the case or use a front 120mm fan mount for it. If you don't have these...not sure what you are going to do other that a new case, or not using the H50.

My opinion...$45 for the H50 still isn't really a good buy...you can get air coolers for about that price that perform as well. Never really was impressed with the H50...more recent models do better like the H60 and H70.

Sory, New case.

With a 80mm back fan, your case can't be that great.

Go with a Antec 300, and add fans.

Ditch the H50, and if you still want water cooling, go for a Antec H20 620. Better reviews than the H50, and I got one.

So yes, your $45 investment just turn into $150. ($55 for the case, and $40ish for 3 additional 120mm fans [2-front, 1 side])

1) Return it, or sell the H50 on ebay. Since it is new, you should be able to get your money back.

2) Your E380 looks like a case with very poor cooling.

3) You can get an Antec 100 for $40 after rebate, shipped. It will be a superior cooling case. Perhaps good enough that you don't need an aftermarket cooler.
When you eventually rebuild, it will serve you well.

4) If you want aftermarket cooling, the Xigmatek gaia is only $30 shipped:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

why dont you use a 120mm to 80mm fan adaptor? under $10 with postage on ebay--only 25mm or 1 inch thick so wont take up much more room--should do the trick --i have used them to put a 120mm fan on 80mm heatsinks so no reason you cant attach it to the 120mm on the h50 then to 80mm outlet on your case

If you already have a dremel, get creative.

120mm fans for the front and rear are pretty much the accepted norm these days.
I like the suggestion of getting the antec 300, or something similar like a cooler master elite 300 series.

I have an H50 and I do love it. I polished it to a high shine along with the cpu. I run it with 2 fans doing push/pull. I've put the voltage on the cpu as high as 1.4875v and it still stays about 40 degrees above ambient up and down the range of volts and clocks. That's impressive. Now consider the H60/70 and antec solutions are even better.

Ultimately though, without knowing your specs, even if you stay with your current cpu cooler (before H50), you should definitely get a new case with future upgrades in mind.

Lutfij

Titan
1| well we should at least hand it to you for venturing into the watercooling territory - bad joke
2| is this the case you have ?
190116.jpg
or this
-85181903503247390.jpg

3| we'll still need mre specs on your rig. Be careful on OC'in components - your mobo wasn't designed to run an OC to begin with - open your case and see if you have mosfet coolers - or anything that looks like it can disipate heat - apart from the GPU and CPU coolers :p
4| i agree for a setup like this - a cheap air cooler would do you more of a "good" deal than that H50
5| getting a new case is actually a better idea when your going to look at an upgrade, not transplant other "pre-made" rigs hardware into aftermarket cases.
6| that case is really tight - you can't even mount a 120mm fanbay in your 5.25" bays
7| if you look at the picture of the rear of the case - the 80-120mm will brush against the side panel - this will render the side panel inoperable or require a good amount of force to shut it close. Probably need to sit on it to help close cases side panel.

more here

My 2 cents :)

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Yes, that is indeed my case. I have the following specs:

Windows 7 sp1
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (Brisbane)
MCP61SM-AM MB using a modified bios from the ABIT NF-M2S MB
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 4 GB Dual Channel Kit
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE
WDC WD50 500GB 3.0 SATA hard drive
SONY BD-ROM BDU-X10S SCSI CdRom
Antec HCG-750 750w PSU
PCI slot fan
HIS Radeon HD 4870 512MB PCIe with a
ULTRA CARBON X4 VGA COOLER
and an extra fan for intake I screwed to the side panel

That's everything in the case anyway... I have a lot of stuff attacked to it too, like the G13 and USB foot pedals for gaming. I really don't *need* to upgrade which is why I am loathe to get a new case right now. My only purpose in doing the OC'ing is to get a better frame rate for boss fights while raiding...

A little while ago I had my system OC'ed about 8% to 2.5 GHz, but it crashed :( I don't think it was a heat issue... not sure what it was really, I may have my video card overclocked a little bit too much.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

I thought about making a blow hole, and dropping my blueray player down a bay so that I could mount the H50 fan there, but I decided that would probably be more trouble than it was worth... Since the Blue ray player would then block the air flow.

Lutfij

Titan
A little while ago I had my system OC'ed about 8% to 2.5 GHz, but it crashed I don't think it was a heat issue... not sure what it was really, I may have my video card overclocked a little bit too much.

I asked you to look inside your case and see if you have anything that looks like this around your cpu socket

asusM2N32wsPro_m3.jpg

or this

mosfetHS.jpg

if you don't which I'm VERY SURE you don't - then back off the overclocking. When you'll learn of the problems with heat , that OC'ing damages hardware not mean't for OC'ing then you can kiss all the inner hardware goodbye - but then again you can start another thread and get a new "UPGRADE" build :) after you've killed the machine you're working with.

my 2 cents.

an 8% OC indicates your mobo isn't meant to be used to that measure.

TRUST me - your just rattling your brain for something that won't bare any more fruits of labor.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
google definition;
raid :

A sudden attack on an enemy by troops, aircraft, or other armed forces in warfare
A surprise attack to commit a crime, esp. to steal from business premises
A surprise visit by police to arrest suspected people or seize illicit goods
A hostile attempt to buy a major or controlling interest in the shares of a company

:lol: raids - on you :p ?!?!

I'll take #3, for $150,000 please.

I think everyone's input pretty much solved this thread. The H50 if it fit wouldnt change the processor temps to any meaningful degree b/c you can't overclock. The cooling in the case isn't sufficient. In order to overclock, it would require a motherboard swap and a better cpu cooler.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

No, I don't have anything like that. There is a heat sink on the chipset, but that's about it.

Lutfij

Titan
And thank YOU for the vote bro.

Like i said - start another thread for a new build. Stay away from pre built systems as the extra cash is actually better spent on BETTER hardware. Now you know what the mobo is actually capable of(aside from its potential in OC'ing) run the rig a lil easier. The H50 is a good cooler , but not for your case. Reducing settings/resolutions will help with frame rates.

Hope this adds the cherry topping to the cake :)

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Building systems is certainly fun... I am about to build 5 of them for work, just not something that I need to do right now. I may start slowly gathering pieces for a new build. Might just live with what I have till a new favorite video game comes out, or I get a job in my field (HCI) and I could make better use of a new system.

Lutfij

Titan
Well...Start a new thread, in the Systems Section -> Home Built/New Build sub-section. I'm sure you'll have more than me to contend with with advice :) and yeah like "clonazapam" stated- start saving up cash.

Don't worry we're only here to help. Cheers bro!

P.S; drop me a PM when you have a new thread going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS