How To Fix 5 short beeps when Disabling CSM in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2021
I wanted to document this in case others experience a similar issue.

Problem: When disabling CSM, via BIOS, the PC won't boot and gives 5 short beep error code.

Solution: Updated nVidia Displayport Firmware via the following link:
NVIDIA GRAPHICS FIRMWARE UPDATE TOOL FOR DISPLAYPORT 1.3 AND 1.4 DISPLAYS

Background:
I built a new PC in preparation for Windows 11 and associated hardware requirements. I installed Windows 10 OS with GPT/UEFI/TPM2.0, but was unable to turn ON Secure Boot, because I wasn't able to successfully disable CSM in the BIOS. When I tried to disable CSM and restart, I would receive 5 short beeps indicating processor error. Thus, I first suspected CPU, then GPU, tried to remove and reseat the components, but no luck. Each time I would reset the CMOS, via jumper, to enable CSM default ON setting. Rinse and repeat for 3 days of troubleshooting and researching and reading. In hindsight, it's possible I could have switched to HDMI cable as a work around. It's possible others don't see this issue, because they are or were using a HDMI or DVI cable previously.

I eventually discovered the solution for my situation buried in this reddit thread.
X570 Aorus Pro rev1.2 - Disabling CSM causes PC stuck on GPU Led. : gigabyte (reddit.com)

My system specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
ASRock B550M PRO4
Western Digital WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS 220-GS-0650-V1 (From Previous build)
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G LE (From Previous build)

Problem: When disabling CSM, via BIOS, the PC won't boot and gives 5 short beep error code.

Background:
I built a new PC in preparation for Windows 11 and associated hardware requirements. I installed Windows 10 OS with GPT/UEFI/TPM2.0, but was unable to turn ON Secure Boot, because I wasn't able to successfully disable CSM in the BIOS. When I tried to disable CSM and restart, I would receive 5 short beeps indicating processor error. Thus, I first suspected CPU, then GPU, tried to remove and reseat the components, but no luck. Each time I would reset the CMOS, via jumper, to enable CSM default ON setting. Rinse and repeat for 3 days of troubleshooting and researching and reading. In hindsight, it's possible I could have switched to HDMI cable as a work around. It's possible others don't see this issue, because they are or were using a HDMI or DVI cable previously.

I eventually discovered the solution for my situation buried in this reddit thread.
X570 Aorus Pro rev1.2 - Disabling CSM causes PC stuck on GPU Led. : gigabyte (reddit.com)

My system specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
ASRock B550M PRO4
Nice solution on the How-To :D

Nov 16, 2021

Background:

My system specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
ASRock B550M PRO4

I just wanted to thank you for documenting this issue and your solution. I have a PC with the same CPU and GPU, only significant difference is I am using a X570 Gigabyte Aorus board which appears to have a fail safe built in- the bios was preventing me from disabling CSM mode even though I had changed my SSD partition format to GPT. Every time I would re-boot after attempting to disable CSM, the bios menu showed it had automatically been enabled again (rather than failing to booth and getting 5 short beeps). Updating the DP firmware on the graphics card allowed me to permanently disable CSM and then enable secure boot ready for Windows 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.