fix an erased flash rom?

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
hello all I have found myself in quite a quandry as of late, I was playing with an old geforce 3 that I had presumed dead. I plugged her in and found that it would just not run direct x programs...because I had direct x 9 installed! lol thinking it was a bad flash that I had performed earlier trying to fix it I tried reflashing it to its default rom rather than the new one that I had installed. Lol I hit the E button to erase on accident and it gave me no prompt (are you sure you want to erase the rom and ruin your card? lol) I found myself with no way to reflash the card as the machine actually rebooted after it got done erasing it! haahah so the rom was toast completly and I just stuffed it in its static bag and whent back to playing battlefield 1942 lol it occurs to me tho that if I installed a pci video card I could attempt to flash the card again by having both the agp geforce 3 and the old pci card inside I could flash the card. If I ran nvflash would it attempt to flash the pci card or the gf3? Is this a possible solution? thoughts comments?

Treat your signature like a toothbrush: Don't let anyone else use it, and get a new one every few months.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I have attempted a flash of the card and nv flash detected the pci card only I have several options from the readme text of nv flash I will try out, I got further than I thought I would, I have the gf3 in my system running from a pci card I am trying to get the thing to flash just the gf3 tho the pci card (an old 2mb trident) means little to me so if I accidentally flash it no big lol anyone ever try to recover from a problem like this?

Treat your signature like a toothbrush: Don't let anyone else use it, and get a new one every few months.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
complete success lol all in less than an hour too!! hahahahah! I am just that good! I simply had to put a pci card in along with the blank gf3 and run nvflash with the option to ignore a pci id mismatch and viola! a happy gf3 just like she was brand spankin new! ahahahahahah VICTORY IS MINE!!!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Smack!

Congrats!

FYI
Supposedly it's even possible to recover from a bad video flash with only one video card. You need a bootable floppy with the flash program and the BIOS file. You create an AUTOEXEC.BAT that does everything you did but in an unattended mode.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I've often wondered about doing that. Glad to know it works. This way I can recover from a bad flash if I ever need to. Thanks for posting the info.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
owwww why did you have to go and smack me like that? lol my system would not boot with just the geforce 3, apparently it didnt like not having a video card with a bios. I had to install a pci card and point the mobo bios to start from a pci card. the machine would just beep repeatedly with just the blank gf3.

It is so nice having this card back lol I have been using an old geforce 2 mx for like five months when all along I could have had my gf3 (it is a chaintech 128mb golden sample too) lol it's funny cuz next month I will have to buy my radeon 9500 pro and tweak it to a 9700 lol but till then I am free of that gf2mx at least

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, I can see it not booting. I've heard of failed flashes, corrupted flashes, but I've never heard of anyone erasing the BIOS.

Good to know you can use a PCI video card to fix the problem though.

By the way, why did you feel it was necessary to flash the video BIOS in the first place?

After a couple of failed motherboard flashes I no longer do it unless I have a serious problem. That would go for video cards, CD drives, anything.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it".

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
the bios was designed to fix a directx 9 incompatibility. I could not run games or anything and since you cant uninstall directx I would have had to format my hard drive install windows 98 then xp all over again and I am just lazy, besides new bioses often mean more performance and I MUST have all the performance I can get! If it aint broke make it BETTER! aahhaahahahahahah

I removed the region lock on my pioneer 106s with a new bios and got a new one for my burner and my mobo should still be up to date, I should go check tho thanks for the reminder!

Treat your signature like a toothbrush: Don't let anyone else use it, and get a new one every few months.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PapaSmurf on 03/23/03 11:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>