fix ssd booting, grub rescue error

seekertom

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Im running win 7 pro from ssd on hppro dtpc. setting up ubuntu 17.04 on several ext usb drives, all worked until last one, where I did something wrong, not sure what.
Now, booting from win 7 ssd I get error message about grub. I guess common problem for improper termination of an install.
So my question is this: I have a factory-refresh copy of same pc on a regular hd. Can I copy the system partition from a regular hd to a ssd hd?
Or, is there an easier/better way to fix this?
(This error prevents me from booting into win consol to a c-prompt for fixboot etc. Also, made a win 7 repair disc from the refresh drive but it says incompatible with the drive. and so on..)
Note: I am not dual booting, and not trying to replace 7. Just using the system to set up external drives for another machine.
Hope you can help!
tom

mattyhoffman7

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
Hey Tom, issues with bootloaders can be annoying (I still get boot0 errors on my HD when I screw the Windows bootloader lol) can you give some more information as to what you mean by it says "incompatible with drive"? Maybe if you uploaded a screenshot or something I can help you get the recovery drive working.