Question Fix Thunderbird or find different email client?

mallomar

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
I'm old and have cognitive issues, so it's not easy for me to fix problems. I've been using Thunderbird for years (Windows 10 if that matters), and found it difficult to set up and maintain, but I stuck with it. I have several email addresses, and the one I use the most (a gmail address) has quit working. In December, it stopped downloading messages (something to do with the password). I can't get it to work. I'm positive I'm using the right password, because I used that password to log into my email on other computers. I tried the restart in troubleshooting mode thing but it didn't make any difference. I thought it might help to update Thunderbird, so I did that, and I still can't download emails for that particular email address. (I can still download emails for several other addresses.)

I do get an indication that I have messages, but when I try to download them, although the counter indicates that hundreds of messages are downloading, they never show up. FWIW, I can't send messages from that email account either.

Is there anything else I should try? What about trying to create a new password? (It would be a PITA, because I'd have to change the password on several other devices, but I'm pretty sure I can do that.) Or should I just ditch Thunderbird? Is there an easier-to-use email client for idiots? I didn't try asking for support from Thunderbird, because I noticed that most requests for support don't get any response. I'd be willing to buy an email client if it would be easier to use and actually had some support.

I can still see my current messages by logging in through google mail, but I need the capability of saving important messages, and google mail doesn't keep messages forever, as far as I know.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saga Lout

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Do you have Google's "2-Step Verification" enabled? It's an extra security mechanism to secure your account. When a different device or app tries to access your Gmail then a code is sent by to your phone or alternate email address.

Let me know if you think you switched this feature on.