FIXED!! GeForce 8400GS failure to install

Diamondhead

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I installed a GeForce nVidia 8400GS video card on my new Windows 7 computer and when I tried to install the drivers for it using the CD-ROM that came with it, I kept getting a "Failed to install" message. I'm using an AOC 931Swl monitor.

I uninstalled all existing video drivers (including the driver on my motherboard and the one for my AOC monitor). I turned off my (Avast) anti-virus. I checked all the posts on Tom's Hardware site, etc. etc.

This is how I fixed it...

I went to Windows Update (Google "Windows update") and downloaded and installed all the applicable updates. One was for "nVidia - Graphic Adapter WDDM1.1. Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDD1.3 -- NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS".

Voila! After installing the update, my video card problem was solved. Before doing this fix, the text on my AOC monitor was blurry and the best resolution I could get was 1280 x 720. After downloading and installed the Windows update mentioned above I was able to move the resolution up to 1366 x 768 (which is the max that this monitor can achieve). Now all text on my monitor is crystal clear.

Hope this helps!