[FIXED] Graphics messed up but pretty sure it isn't the card

hoodlumcorp

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Turned my pc on from sleep mode and noticed the screen is a little blurry. As if the font and pictures arent sharp enough. i have a evga 760 gtx. Restarted pc and then my desktop was stretched out and not fitting the screen. I tried to play battlefield and dayz and theres was objects flickering and appearing/disappearing and very horrible graphics on high settings. Usually a BSOD would follow. Tried other card (570 gtx) and got no display on the screen. I tried the 760 card in my roommates pc and it worked flawless. desktop looked good, games ran awesome. Now i am really confused. could this be a mobo issue or psu issue?

hoodlumcorp

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
yes i should have stated that.

PSU - corsair hx 850w - pro series. 3 years old
Mobo - less than a year old. asus p8 z77-v lk

no overclocking
i have tripped the breaker once because i plugged to many heaters on. (my internet card didnt like that, i had to repair the driver)
new cat likes to play around the pc. somehow he was turned the pc off 3 times. touching the case a certain way can shut it off, i guess because of so much wire tucking.

I tried plugging into the onboard vga and got wierd bios screen that went green and fuzzy. after that it failed to boot any further. getting the 760 gtx to boot again was a pain in the a**. almost like it had a hard time detecting it on bios.

uninstalling/reinstalling graphic drivers did not work. system restore did nothing.

"touching the case a certain way can shut it off, i guess because of so much wire tucking."

Not good. Means you have a bad connection somewhere that could cause a short, if it did not do so already. This could damage almost anything in the pc, most likely the motherboard, but I can't be sure. If problem persists with IGP, that sort of eliminates the 760 as the culprit. I'm thinking PSU or motherboard but can't say definitively. If you have a spare monitor that you know works properly, you could try it to eliminate that possibility. Unplug pc from wall and verify all connections inside.

hoodlumcorp

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I used my friends monitor and the screen fit perfectly, font looked great, no blurryness at all, no bsod after quiting games. (But objects still flickered and disappeared in battlefield) My monitor is kinda a tv actually. His is a true pc monitor. For 3 years my pc was able to fit the screen resolution perfectly with my tv, til now. Pretty weird. I reinstalled windows and reset the bios. Nothing.

hoodlumcorp

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Yes I am very familiar with the tv by now. Its 1080p and like i said, it did fine auto adjusting the screen. Now i have to resize the screen manually to a 1786x1004. Something is out of whack. I may start pulling things apart and testing on my roommates computer.

hoodlumcorp

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
i understand, but 3 years it was fine. now the aspect is off and i cant get the monitor/graphics card to auto adjust on its own. i have to resize manually and i dont like that. not getting 1080x1920 when i have to resize it. screen looks a bit blurry, font isnt crisp, something is off. cant fix it for the life of me so wierd

hoodlumcorp

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
no. outlet is grounded. Not sure if power outlet has surge protection but i went and bought one that does. motherboard has power surge protection. man, im starting to think the monitor/tv is the issue. the monitor/tv may not be communicating with my graphics card like it should. therefore the graphics card is sending bad signals, w/e. i tested my friends monitor and everything seemed great. scaling worked, desktop font looked crisp and not blurry, just looked so much better like the way it should. but i did not test games enough to totally confirm this is the problem. Ive read people have gotten BSOD from using bad monitors and what not.

Going to try:

1. Im rolling back my nvidia drivers now (did not work)
2. Next i will take my tv monitor and try it on my roommates computer this time to see if his pc "rejects" it.
3. Use his monitor to test games on my pc to see if there is graphic improvement/stability. Cause right now they suck! graphics look like waterpainting lol

hoodlumcorp

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Trying step #2
2. Next i will take my tv monitor and try it on my roommates computer this time to see if his pc "rejects" it.

Seems like his pc rejected my tv monitor! Didnt scale right, had to resize/custom the resolution, blurry font, no crispness. still that waterpainting effect. ran h1z1 and graphics looked like crap. THEN, i plugged his monitor to his pc (while it was still running) and it auto scaled to 1080p, fonts and desktop look perfect, h1z1 looks awesome. I BELIEVE MY TV MONTIOR IS THE ISSUE! i will try step #3 tomorrow to confirm 100%. If you guys havent even mentioned the tv monitor being the problem, i would have never tried another one. this is crazy to me...