fixed ip or automatic

owen

On my home network i have 3 pc's. 2 wireless which connect to a WAP. The wap
connects to my 3rd computer. My network works fine at the moment with the 2
wireless computers having automatic ip address' being assigned by the dhcp.
the computer that is connected to the wap point has a fixed ip address. I
have an internet connection sharing. When i change the computer with the wap
point to an automatic ip, that computer cannot access the network. Also is
it best to have all of the computers on automatic ip's or fixed ip's that
will enable internet connection sharing.
Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
Owen

Well, personally I see no reason to use DHCP assigned IP on a fixed PC, particularly on a small home
LAN. I have my home LAN setup like yours, ie. wireless/guest devices get a DHCP assigned IP address
while my two fixed desktops have static IP addresses...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:e82$gysUEHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> On my home network i have 3 pc's. 2 wireless which connect to a WAP. The wap
> connects to my 3rd computer. My network works fine at the moment with the 2
> wireless computers having automatic ip address' being assigned by the dhcp.
> the computer that is connected to the wap point has a fixed ip address. I
> have an internet connection sharing. When i change the computer with the wap
> point to an automatic ip, that computer cannot access the network. Also is
> it best to have all of the computers on automatic ip's or fixed ip's that
> will enable internet connection sharing.
> Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
> Many Thanks
> Owen

---

owen

Is it possible to have a static ip on the wireless computers?
Thanks

> Well, personally I see no reason to use DHCP assigned IP on a fixed PC,
particularly on a small home
> LAN. I have my home LAN setup like yours, ie. wireless/guest devices get a
DHCP assigned IP address
> while my two fixed desktops have static IP addresses...
>
> http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On my home network i have 3 pc's. 2 wireless which connect to a WAP. The
wap
> > connects to my 3rd computer. My network works fine at the moment with
the 2
> > wireless computers having automatic ip address' being assigned by the
dhcp.
> > the computer that is connected to the wap point has a fixed ip address.
> > have an internet connection sharing. When i change the computer with the
wap
> > point to an automatic ip, that computer cannot access the network. Also
is
> > it best to have all of the computers on automatic ip's or fixed ip's
that
> > will enable internet connection sharing.
> > Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Many Thanks
> > Owen
> >

> ---

Sure...

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

--

"Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:ObVc3PvUEHA.3944@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Is it possible to have a static ip on the wireless computers?
> Thanks
>

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Well, personally I see no reason to use DHCP assigned IP on a fixed PC,
> particularly on a small home
>> LAN. I have my home LAN setup like yours, ie. wireless/guest devices get a
> DHCP assigned IP address
>> while my two fixed desktops have static IP addresses...
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>>
>> "Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > On my home network i have 3 pc's. 2 wireless which connect to a WAP. The
> wap
>> > connects to my 3rd computer. My network works fine at the moment with
> the 2
>> > wireless computers having automatic ip address' being assigned by the
> dhcp.
>> > the computer that is connected to the wap point has a fixed ip address.
>> > have an internet connection sharing. When i change the computer with the
> wap
>> > point to an automatic ip, that computer cannot access the network. Also
> is
>> > it best to have all of the computers on automatic ip's or fixed ip's
> that
>> > will enable internet connection sharing.
>> > Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated.
>> > Many Thanks
>> > Owen
>> >

>> ---

---

owen

When i enter a static ip i need to fill in the DNS server.
What do i type in the box please?

> Sure...
>
> http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to have a static ip on the wireless computers?
> > Thanks
> >

> > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >> Well, personally I see no reason to use DHCP assigned IP on a fixed PC,
> > particularly on a small home
> >> LAN. I have my home LAN setup like yours, ie. wireless/guest devices
get a
> > DHCP assigned IP address
> >> while my two fixed desktops have static IP addresses...
> >>
> >> http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual
> > benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > rights...
> >>
> >> "Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
The
> > wap
> > the 2
> > dhcp.
> > wap
Also
> > is
> > that
> >> >

> >> ---
> >>

> ---

I put in the DNS server IP addresses as provided to me by my ISP...

--

"Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:OS6QEWvUEHA.4048@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> When i enter a static ip i need to fill in the DNS server.
> What do i type in the box please?
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Sure...
>>
>> http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>>
>> "Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > Is it possible to have a static ip on the wireless computers?
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> > particularly on a small home
> get a
>> > DHCP assigned IP address

> mutual
>> > benefit of all of us...
>> > rights...

> The
>> > wap
>> > the 2
>> > dhcp.
> address.
> the
>> > wap
> Also
>> > is
>> > that

>> ---

---

owen

doesnt the dns address have to be one from your home network computers?

No...

--

"Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:usyP8bvUEHA.2360@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> doesnt the dns address have to be one from your home network computers?
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> I put in the DNS server IP addresses as provided to me by my ISP...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>>
>> "Owen" <owen@rpm1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > When i enter a static ip i need to fill in the DNS server.
>> > What do i type in the box please?
>> >
>> > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

> mutual
>> > benefit of all of us...
>> > rights...

> PC,
>> > get a

>> > mutual

> WAP.
>> > The
> with
> the
>> > address.
> with
>> > the
>> > Also
> ip's

---

Hex

should it not be the ip address of your wireless router?

confers no rights...

wrote in message
assigned IP on a fixed
>> PC,