[SOLVED] Fixed my laptop and want to know how i did it

iXorizon

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016
so yesterday i was playing CSGO and i got really mad and i punched my laptop at the point of where the hard drive is, then i continued on playing and my computer just randomly shut down, and i couldn't turn it back on. So today i tried and i just held down the power button for one minute and i unplugged the charging cable, and then it turned on miraculously. and now what the [removed] my battery is draining even though my laptop is plugged in, it started at 62% 10 minutes ago and now its at 51%. Whats faulty here? i cant remove the battery because its internal, id have to open up the laptop. Laptop model is ROG GL702VM.

Edit: There is no heat coming from the power brick

Mod: watch the language

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
if it won't turn on without the battery installed, then it is likely the power port. they can be replaced and are actually pretty cheap, though you'll have to look into your specific laptop model to see if it is possible. most of the time it is a couple screws to remove it once the laptop is taken apart.

that's where i'd start looking.

they second thing you should do is grow up and stop punching your expensive electronics because you lose at a game. that's just pretty childish and will only cost you money in the end. i'm sure this is not an isolated incident and the power jack being messed up is probably from long term abuse of the laptop. you can fix it, but the next time you decide to puch it, it may just up and quit on you and...

iXorizon

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016
Is the charger recognised as being plugged in?
Could well have damaged a connection on the motherboard, or quite potentially damaged the jack or harness of the DC port.
how am I supposed to know that it's recognized? I think I might've damaged the jack itself, just now I removed the battery and tried to run AC only, but nothing happened when I tried to run it

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
how am I supposed to know that it's recognized? I think I might've damaged the jack itself, just now I removed the battery and tried to run AC only, but nothing happened when I tried to run it
If it even shows as plugged in on your battery status on the OS.
Well behind that jack is the harness to the motherboard too. So any part after it could also be damaged.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if it won't turn on without the battery installed, then it is likely the power port. they can be replaced and are actually pretty cheap, though you'll have to look into your specific laptop model to see if it is possible. most of the time it is a couple screws to remove it once the laptop is taken apart.

they second thing you should do is grow up and stop punching your expensive electronics because you lose at a game. that's just pretty childish and will only cost you money in the end. i'm sure this is not an isolated incident and the power jack being messed up is probably from long term abuse of the laptop. you can fix it, but the next time you decide to puch it, it may just up and quit on you and leave you to find something else to do.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution

iXorizon

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016

they second thing you should do is grow up and stop punching your expensive electronics because you lose at a game. that's just pretty childish and will only cost you money in the end. i'm sure this is not an isolated incident and the power jack being messed up is probably from long term abuse of the laptop. you can fix it, but the next time you decide to puch it, it may just up and quit on you and leave you to find something else to do.
there are no screws on the port itself

iXorizon

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016
here's a listing for the part. less than $10

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-POWER-J...GL702VT-CHARGING-PORT-CONNECTOR-/283062112061

it seems yours needs to be soldered in so unless you have that experience, a trained pro should do that work for you. will cost a few bucks for sure but cheaper than replacing the laptop.
yeah, I could do that, but it's still unknown to me whether the port is damaged or the circuit around it, I could waste time and money in the end if I order this but realise in the end that it's the circuit around the mobo, and I don't know how to find out

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no idea either without it in front of me. experience has taught me that it is often the port if it is not the charger itself. if the board is damaged, then it will probably have other issues as well. without other issues present, then i'd start with the port and see what that does for it.

Reactions: PC Tailor