How To Fixed sticky keys with a rubbing alcohol bath

DanKegel

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
I just successfully revived a TypeHeaven ZA0100 keyboard.

My son had spilled orange juice on it, and several of the keys were hopelessly sticky.

Six months after I'd given up on it, I decided to gamble and give it an immersion bath in 70% isopropyl alcohol (plain old rubbing alcohol).
(Distilled water might do, too. 90% or higher alcohol is too dangerous, and probably wouldn't dissolve orange juice solids very well.)

Went to Rite Aid, bought two 32 oz bottles ($7 total).
Popped off the keys, removed the four screws, separated the case halves at the top a bit, then carefully pried the four tabs at the bottom open.
Then set the circuit board in a disposable aluminum turkey roasting pan,
poured in enough alcohol to submerge it, and vigorously pushed all the sticky keys for about ten minutes.
(Do this outside, and wear goggles and maybe gloves; the fumes are strong and potentially dangerous, and my eyes stung a bit.)
Then I drained it, dried it with a towel and a hair dryer, and reassembled it.

It didn't work at first. I guessed correctly that it was still wet inside, so I stood it on edge and aimed a fan on it overnight. That fixed it.

Now I have a perfectly working keyboard again. Yay!

The most expensive part of the procedure was the two tubs of ice cream I bought along with the alcohol :)

D

Deleted member 362816

I use to refurb surface books and laptops. Put 99% alcohol into a spray bottle, douse the keyboard in it and rub with a firm bristle toothbrush. Dry with fan overnight never had it do any damage and worked pretty well for me overall.