Question Fixes for broken Power SW pin?

StarCry

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Recently built my girlfriend a PC using some of my old parts only to find out at the end that the Power SW pin is bent and not working. I have another compatible motherboard, but it's major overkill for her use case and I'd rather use the one currently in the system. Are there any relatively easy fixes/work arounds for this?

If it's something that would end up being a soldering job then I'll probably replace the motherboard and maybe use the broken board as a longer term project to learn some new skills. Either way any solutions would be much appreciated!

How broken is the pin? Did it snap off completely?

If its broken all the way off I don't know of any way of fixing it outside of soldering a whole new pin connector on the board, which on a surface mount PCB can be very difficult. If the pin is somewhat still intact you could strip the connector off the wire, and soldering each wire to the remainder of the pins which isn't terribly difficult.

StarCry

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
It's pretty bent, but hasn't come out entirely. The Power SW cable will go onto the two pins, but it gets pushed off to one side and doesn't sit snugly. Don't actually have any soldering gear, so I guess I'll just leave that motherboard for a side project or something in the future and learn some new skills in the process haha

TRENDING THREADS