Sep 21, 2019
Over the years, I've had a number of Windows PCs with their attendant mouses. Until very recently, there has been no great problems with getting the mouses to work flawlessly with these devices. I plug them in, the mouse will operate without difficulty.

Not so in recent days.

PROBLEM: I've tried a number of cordless mouses (and one that was corded) in recent days on my 2 1/2 .year-old Windows 10 (64 bit) OS PC (my system specs are appended to this text). All these mouses have been "buggy". In particular:

* the movement of the pointer on the screen becomes difficult to control,

* the number of clicks required to open any object/icon on the device is larger-than-normal (it shouldn't be more than 2 clicks, but, instead, many more clicks than this are usually required).

* these problems are themselves inconsistent. At first, the mouses behave more-or-less normally, but, as time goes on, they become increasingly erratic and difficult to use.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS: I've tried these frequently-recommended solutions...

- Adjusting Window 10's Mouse Settings,

- Repeatedly virus-scanning my computer (using Norton Security) which declares it virus-free,

- Repeatedly rebooting both my computer and the mouse(s) by either turning them ''off'', then ''on'', or by hitting the reset button (where present),

- Using mouses with fresh batteries, correctly installed,

- changing the USB port for the signal interface device.

QUESTION: Can you suggest how to fix this problem? Specifically...

+ What free and trustworthy anti-virus/malware scans are available to further rule out that possibility as the source of the problem?

+ What specific Windows 10 Mouse Settings should be used to correct the two problems referenced above (that erratic-mouse-pointer problem, as well as the too-many-clicks-to-open-an-object problem)?

+ New Driver Install: Windows 10's Device Manager says that these mouses are functioning properly when they clearly aren't. Would replacing the generic drivers for these devices (to ones that run better on a 64 bit Windows 10 OS) resolve my problems? If so, what is a trustworthy and simple-to-install source for such drivers (my current mouse is an iHome 6 Button Wireless Mouse, Model # IH-BL-H680B)?

+ What solutions other than noted above would likely resolve this "buggy" mouse problem?

Thank you for your attention to my problem. If you have a suggestion for solving it, please share.

2privatus
[don't post your email address on the forum]

System Specifications

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16298 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 977 GB (878 GB Free); D: 931 GB (802 GB Free); G: 3726 GB (2867 GB Free); H: 3725 GB (2545 GB Free); K: 3726 GB (3055 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z170-E
Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The key clue as I understand your post is that the mouse works correctly for some time and then performance degrades.

Immediately after some use carefully check the wireless mouse dongle to determine if it is warm or even hot.

Try using a USB extension cable to for the wireless mouse dongle.

Get the dongle up and away from the computer. That will improve reception and keep the dongle cooler.

Regarding drivers:

Download, reinstall, and reconfigure the applicable mouse driver via the manufacturer's website.

My next concern would be a power problem with respect the USB ports. Improper voltages as well as heat will destroy electronic devices.

Ralston18

Titan
The key clue as I understand your post is that the mouse works correctly for some time and then performance degrades.

Immediately after some use carefully check the wireless mouse dongle to determine if it is warm or even hot.

Get the dongle up and away from the computer. That will improve reception and keep the dongle cooler.

Regarding drivers:

Download, reinstall, and reconfigure the applicable mouse driver via the manufacturer's website.

My next concern would be a power problem with respect the USB ports. Improper voltages as well as heat will destroy electronic devices.

Solution
Sep 21, 2019
Ralston18: Thank you for your interest.

Your diagnosis seems mostly correct (the wireless USB dongle is not hot and seems OK). The remedy appears to be even simpler than the one you offered.

(APPARENT) SOLUTION:

1. Go to Window 10's Device Manager
  2. Click on the angle bracket (>) by "Mice and Other Pointing Devices"
  3. Right-Click on "HID-compliant Mouse"
  4. Choose "Disable Driver"
  5. Manually Restart/Reboot" computer (this because the mouse is now non-functional)
  6. When computer reboots the mouse driver "re-enables" and the mouse should (?) be functioning "normally".
I found this remedy via further investigation + sheer dumb luck (with the emphasis on dumb).

I'm reluctant to say my problem is solved. The mouse still seems to behave a bit "buggy", and may become more so. Time will tell.

But, as for now, it is much better than before. Further tweaks in Mouse Settings may resolve the remaining "bugginess".

Again, thank you and anyone else who took and interest in this. Should it occur to you -- or anyone else -- that this solution is errant and that a better one exists, please share.

2privatus

Regarding drivers:

TRENDING THREADS