Fixing an inaccessible usb drive after Windows 10 Anniversary Update has applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanG367

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
<editing inline to answer queries>

I have an older Windows 10 Machine that I use as a Media Server and for general torrenting.

This machine has 4 external USB Disks attached to provide a large amount of storage.

After upgrade a 1TB disk shows as healthy in disk manager but is not available if selected. It is assigned a drive letter.

Prior to update the disk is working and further Flash drives can be connected too.

Prior to the update; update assistant advises:
This PC is running version 10586. The latest version is 14393.

Once the update applies I can see the drive in Drive Manager and it shows as healthy with a drive letter assigned to it.

After some research on forums I attempted to install MiniTool Partition Wizard in the hopes of fixing the error but the install failed with errors in Add/Remove programs.

At this point I used Go back to earlier build in the Recovery section of Settings.

The Update rolled back correctly and I once again had access to the drive.

I installed MiniTool Partition Wizard in the restored machine, shutdown the machine and removed all four USB disks.

I then started the machine (without any USB disks attached) and ran the Update again. Update completed in a timely manner and I reattached the four external disks in the order of their previous drive letter assignment. There was a dialogue advising of driver loading with the first disk. The second, third and fourth drive showed no dialogues.

Each disk connected with the earlier drive letter assignment.

The failing disk displayed the same characteristics as before. i.e. It showed in My Computer and had a letter assigned but was inaccessible.

VIewing it with drive manager it shows as healthy with the drive letter assignment.

Reading on another forum it was suggested that this could be caused by Windows Fast Boot being enabled in the power settings of WIndows 10 and others reported resolving the error by turning this off and power cycling the machine through a shutdown.

After researching that this option is in the choose what the power button does option I switched it off and followed the process - to no avail. I still have/had the problem.

At this point I used Go back to earlier build in the Recovery section of Settings.again.
The Update rolled back correctly and I once again have access to the drive.

I write this in the hopes that someone on TomsHardware knows a solution to the problem.

Has this update reduced the number of USB devices that can be supported? Is there a new limit on drives? Does anyone have any suggestions other than remaining at version/build 10586?

Thanks in advance for suggestions,
Ian

@BadActor There are no flags or warning in Device Manager. Both Disks and USB Controllers show the expected devices and no flags of warning or error. (Love your sig picture quote!)

:Edit September 2016

I used the refresh Windows 10 program from Microsoft (I have lost the detail of where exactly I found it but I believe I found the link on Tom's Hardware) and the machine refreshed itself to post the anniversary update.

I did this on the two clients that I had been experiencing myriad problems with Windows 10 on and the two machines are working better now than they ever have on Windows 10.

Ongoing problems with Chrome failing to start, or chrome hanging in the middle of browsing websites have completely stopped. It's been a tale of two operating systems!

Regards,
Ian

Solution
This is being added as a second post as I want to be able to mark the problem resolved. It is not possible to resolve with the original post!

<Edit> And I can't answer this even with a separate answer. Presumably to stop people bumping their stats!

I used the refresh Windows 10 program from Microsoft (I have lost the detail of where exactly I found it but I believe I found the link on Tom's Hardware) and the machine refreshed itself to post the anniversary update.

I did this on the two clients that I had been experiencing myriad problems with Windows 10 on and the two machines are working better now than they ever have on Windows 10.

Ongoing problems with Chrome failing to start, or chrome hanging in the middle of browsing...

IanG367

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
This is being added as a second post as I want to be able to mark the problem resolved. It is not possible to resolve with the original post!

<Edit> And I can't answer this even with a separate answer. Presumably to stop people bumping their stats!

Ongoing problems with Chrome failing to start, or chrome hanging in the middle of browsing websites have completely stopped. It's been a tale of two operating systems!

Regards,
Ian

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS