thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
This PC has already been built. Someone else built it for me and it has many bad components and I want to start fixing it. I want to start my replacing the PSU as many people have stated it isn't name brand and could be unreliable. I am looking to buy the Corsair RM 650x but dont know if thats enough watts for me or even if its quality. Could someone help me find out how many watts i should get for a psu and which one i should get. My build is below if it helps. I also plan on getting a molex fan hub to attach 5 fans to along with the psu.

my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gVwGCL

Solution
It's not the OC. It's the 1000HP cpu sitting in a go-kart frame. It'll be ok for the little stuff, hanging out in the driveway etc, might even jump on the gas once or twice for the fun of it, but sooner or later youll really jump on the gas for a good tire smoke show and that cpu is going to tell you it's had enough and twist that go-kart frame up like a pretzel. The VRM's and power delivery circuitry on those uber low budget motherboards was designed more for the Pentium/i3/i5 series cpus, not the i7k or i9k's. The motherboard will literally bottleneck the cpu performance or overheat and cause stability issues.

It's also your primary core component. Everything bolts to it. Ram, cpu, fans, storage, psu, cooler etc. Replacement...
This PC has already been built. Someone else built it for me and it has many bad components and I want to start fixing it. I want to start my replacing the PSU as many people have stated it isn't name brand and could be unreliable. I am looking to buy the Corsair RM 650x but dont know if thats enough watts for me or even if its quality. Could someone help me find out how many watts i should get for a psu and which one i should get. My build is below if it helps. I also plan on getting a molex fan hub to attach 5 fans to along with the psu.

my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gVwGCL
The Corsair RMx series is very good. It is one of the PSUs that people recommend on the forums. Biggest issue is finding a good PSU that is in stock and at a good price in the USA.

Generally speaking, unless you are running a Threadripper or multi-gpu you will almost never need more than a 650W PSU. However, the 650W tends to be the most popular followed by 550W. That means they tend to be either out of stock or low stock EVERYWHERE and therefore really high priced. The RMx that you are looking at isn't actually in stock at Best Buy when you click on the site and the cheap one from Amazon has $60 shipping charge. For that reason I would get this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...onics_ssr_750px_focus_plus_750w_platinum.html instead. It is higher efficiency and wattage, but still very high build quality.

Reactions: thebilaljunejo

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
The Corsair RMx series is very good. It is one of the PSUs that people recommend on the forums. Biggest issue is finding a good PSU that is in stock and at a good price in the USA.

Generally speaking, unless you are running a Threadripper or multi-gpu you will almost never need more than a 650W PSU. However, the 650W tends to be the most popular followed by 550W. That means they tend to be either out of stock or low stock EVERYWHERE and therefore really high priced. The RMx that you are looking at isn't actually in stock at Best Buy when you click on the site and the cheap one from Amazon has $60 shipping charge. For that reason I would get this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...onics_ssr_750px_focus_plus_750w_platinum.html instead. It is higher efficiency and wattage, but still very high build quality.
Thing is im in canada, so that wouldnt really work sadly. have a canadian link?

Do not fix what is not broken.
One might have picked some different parts, but by and large your build is fine.

If it is not doing the job for you, then is the time to fix it.

I am unfamiliar with your psu.
But, so long as it keeps working, I would not necessarily be urgent to swap it out.
Your pc should run just fine on a 550w psu.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

The use of a B360 based motherboard was a bit unfortunate since it precludes you from overclocking your 9700K.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The psu isn't terrible. In tweaktowns test, a 750w pushed a very expensive cpu and 2x titans and while warm, didn't skip a beat, even at 50°C and more, and hit 900w outputs before failure. So it's not a low-ball, blow at half wattage portable dumpster fire starter. It'll work more than adequately on a 9700k and 2060.

As geofelt said, the parts aren't bad. But, it's the combination of parts that is. A 9700k on a B365 bottom shelf motherboard. A CM hyper212 on a 9700k. A 9700k with 2133 ram.

If I had to replace parts, the psu would be later on the list. First would be the mobo, then cooler, then ram. No point owning a 9700k and keeping it caged.

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
The psu isn't terrible. In tweaktowns test, a 750w pushed a very expensive cpu and 2x titans and while warm, didn't skip a beat, even at 50°C and more, and hit 900w outputs before failure. So it's not a low-ball, blow at half wattage portable dumpster fire starter. It'll work more than adequately on a 9700k and 2060.

As geofelt said, the parts aren't bad. But, it's the combination of parts that is. A 9700k on a B365 bottom shelf motherboard. A CM hyper212 on a 9700k. A 9700k with 2133 ram.

If I had to replace parts, the psu would be later on the list. First would be the mobo, then cooler, then ram. No point owning a 9700k and keeping it caged.
The thing is I'm extremely paranoid about just having a nonreliable part in my pc, I want to ensure all parts all reliable the go on upgrading from thereon. I just built the PC one month ago now and I haven't had any issues other than some defective ram that was replaced and some random crashes every now and then. But just the thought of something happening is worth it to me. Thoughts? Also what CPU cooler do you recommend as I have no idea what to go for?

edit: i also have no intention of overclocking as you can tell im a very paranoid person so yeah, mobo upgrade for now is not a priority. but i understand what people are saying and why they are saying it. thoughts?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not the OC. It's the 1000HP cpu sitting in a go-kart frame. It'll be ok for the little stuff, hanging out in the driveway etc, might even jump on the gas once or twice for the fun of it, but sooner or later youll really jump on the gas for a good tire smoke show and that cpu is going to tell you it's had enough and twist that go-kart frame up like a pretzel. The VRM's and power delivery circuitry on those uber low budget motherboards was designed more for the Pentium/i3/i5 series cpus, not the i7k or i9k's. The motherboard will literally bottleneck the cpu performance or overheat and cause stability issues.

It's also your primary core component. Everything bolts to it. Ram, cpu, fans, storage, psu, cooler etc. Replacement literally means tearing the pc completely apart. Better to get it over with from the start, a gpu swap or ram upgrade are easy. No point in swapping everything out, just to tear it all out again for the mobo.

Gamdias doesn't manufacture psus. They are just a vendor brand. The psu is built by someone else, like FSP or SuperFlower, who then puts Gamdias stickers and paint job on the outside. They are quite popular in South America and I've not seen any real horror stories about them, so while it might not be Corsair or Seasonic label, doesn't necessarily mean it's trash and totally unreliable.

You can do the upgrades any which way you want to, your parts are decent enough individually to handle that.

The 212 can handle a 9700k at stock values. It's basically equivalent to what would have been a 'stock' cooler if the 9700k had come with one. That said, it's stock. So expect heavy gaming sessions to have pretty high temps, that's unavoidable. When cooling a possibly monster cpu output, bigger is better. Not always bigger cooler, just bigger capacity. The 9700k can hit @ 200w with just locking all the cores at max turbo. No OC changes or voltages or digging any deeper than a simple single 'enable' in the bios.

The 212 is a 140w budget cooler. You'll find out fast that it's inadequate for anything over bare-bones stock. That means twin tower coolers, 240mm or bigger AIO's, single tower coolers with a 200w+ rating etc.

For air? Noctua NH-D15S/U12A, Sythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, beQuiet Darkrock 4/TF. You can fit upto 165mm cooler in that case, so none will have any issues.
For liquid? Fractal Design S24, Evga CLC 240, Corsair H100i V2 if looking for 240mm, Evga CLC 280 or nzxt Kraken X62/X63 if looking for 280mm.

Solution

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018

It's also your primary core component. Everything bolts to it. Ram, cpu, fans, storage, psu, cooler etc. Replacement literally means tearing the pc completely apart. Better to get it over with from the start, a gpu swap or ram upgrade are easy. No point in swapping everything out, just to tear it all out again for the mobo.

Gamdias doesn't manufacture psus. They are just a vendor brand. The psu is built by someone else, like FSP or SuperFlower, who then puts Gamdias stickers and paint job on the outside. They are quite popular in South America and I've not seen any real horror stories about them, so while it might not be Corsair or Seasonic label, doesn't necessarily mean it's trash and totally unreliable.

You can do the upgrades any which way you want to, your parts are decent enough individually to handle that.

The 212 can handle a 9700k at stock values. It's basically equivalent to what would have been a 'stock' cooler if the 9700k had come with one. That said, it's stock. So expect heavy gaming sessions to have pretty high temps, that's unavoidable. When cooling a possibly monster cpu output, bigger is better. Not always bigger cooler, just bigger capacity. The 9700k can hit @ 200w with just locking all the cores at max turbo. No OC changes or voltages or digging any deeper than a simple single 'enable' in the bios.

The 212 is a 140w budget cooler. You'll find out fast that it's inadequate for anything over bare-bones stock. That means twin tower coolers, 240mm or bigger AIO's, single tower coolers with a 200w+ rating etc.

For air? Noctua NH-D15S/U12A, Sythe Mugen 5 Rev. B, beQuiet Darkrock 4/TF. You can fit upto 165mm cooler in that case, so none will have any issues.
For liquid? Fractal Design S24, Evga CLC 240, Corsair H100i V2 if looking for 240mm, Evga CLC 280 or nzxt Kraken X62/X63 if looking for 280mm.
ah hell, alright i guess ill start with changing the motherboard then, it sounds worse then the psu, then next month or so ill change the psu if i really think i need to. which motherboard should i go for? i dont really want to spend too much money on it if possible, id like to keep it under 200$ cad and if possible 150$ cad