Flash BIOS whitout floppy

adamgade

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
What is that?

When I updatet to BIOS 3.10 I downloaded a win XP installer from asrock, so can't you download a program for windows to flash BIOS?

adamgade

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
It only installs ver 3.10 witch is the official release from asrock. But at

http://www.pctreiber.net/filebase. [...] &lim=0

somebody has made som changes to the BIOS so it accpts my intel E7600 and more ram :)

I would love to use some kind of installer to install ver 3.19a but the file: 75DVSTA3.19a cannot be executed :-(

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Note: awdflash and BIOS.BIN will be used as an example ONLY.

Go here: http://www.bootdisk.com/
Download: Need To Flash Your BIOS On A PC With No 1.44. Click on 1.44 and save "FLASHCD.ISO" to desktop, if its archived extract it.

You will need an ISO app like UltraISO, MagicISO, etc; Use the ISO software to open FLASHCD.ISO. Now drag awdflash and BIOS.BIN into FLASHCD.ISO and "Save". The awdflash tool and BIOS.BIN will be on the ISO image if the procedure was done correctly. Now burn FLASHCD.ISO to a CD. It must be burned as an CD image or it will not load on boot.

Boot into the bios and make sure CDROM is first boot. Restore bios setup defaults before flashing bios, usually F5. Put the CD in with your bios update and hit F10 to save bios setting and reboot.

When the CD autoruns you will come to a screen with some info telling you where your files are, example:

Drive A will contains the files that were in the FLASHCD.ISO.
Drive R will contain your Flash BIOS update file.

Just remember your flashing tools will be on the second, click continue to go to the next screen. Change the drive letter, at the a:\prompt type "R:" without the quotes and press enter.

At the DOS prompt, type in the name of your BIOS flash tool. In this example it would be awdflash. R:\awdflash

At the DOS prompt, type in the name of your flash BIOS update file. In this example, it would be BIOS.BIN. Follow the instructions on the screen.

adamgade

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Wow thats sounds complicatet (and dangerous).

The 3.10 official version you download at asrock.com comes with AFUWIN.EXE (http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=775Dual-VSTA&o=XP) an exe file you just run from the desktop, and the next time you start the pc the BIOS is updatet. :D

So why can't it be as simple?

Because it isn't an official BIOS released by ASRock?

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009

I only flashed using the CD method once and it worked flawlessly.........don't mean it'll work flawlessly for the next guy. I had flashed to a current bios revision and started having problems, downgrading to the previous bios revision was the option. EZ-Flash 2 (ASUS) wouldn't allow downgrading so that was out. My bios file wouldn't fit on a floppy disk with the system files, exceeded 1Mb. The ASUS Update Tool wouldn't work either and it was a last resort since I don't recommend using this tool. I have an Award flash utility (not from the ASUS site) that allows for downgrading, worked like a charm using the CD method.