Flash Forecast: Shortage Persists Into Mid-2018, Retail Pricing Steady

Status
Not open for further replies.

takeshi7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
I smell collusion and price fixing. It's not like the DRAM/NAND manufacturers haven't done it before, and it's extremely fishy that all of them decided to shut down their fabs to transition to 3D all at once.

hannibal

Distinguished
It means that prices will get higher, because demand is higher than production.
It also means that the prices will stay high quite long after the shortage is getting better. New ssd 2019?

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

The efforts required to hold a collusion group together aren't ever strong enough, the incentive to cheat is always stronger. One word, OPEC. ;)

G

I agree collusion is likely. Remember the collusion of RAM in from 1998 to 2002? The key players

"Among the companies involved were major electronics players including Hitachi, Hynix, Samsung and Toshiba."

Do any of these companies sound familiar?

takeshi7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

Don't forget about Micron and Infineon, who were also found guilty.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Samsung has a couple in South Korea and a couple in China that produce NAND. I thought about adding something about that but thought best to leave it out. North Korea has threatened war a few times a year for the last thirty years.

The other variable is Toshiba vs. Western Digital/SanDisk. I also left that out because I can't predict the outcome.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
"That's why you'll now be able to use up to four CPUs and up to 6TB of memory, which is double and triple, respectively, what's supported in Windows 10 Pro right now."

I'm confused. This implies that until now, Windows has only supported 2 CPUs. But consumer-grade Intel Core processors have been quad-core for a long time now. And I've never heard of anyone having problems with 6/8/10/12-core Broadwell-E processors in Windows. Nor have I heard any problems with using Ryzen with Windows.

And I've got a quad-core AMD with multithreading, and Windows has no problem acting as if it has 8 logical CPUs.

So what's the story?

Why do I get the feeling that it'll be a while before I see an SSD with a half-decent endurance rating?

With ThreadRipper, I can now destroy most SSDs in a matter of weeks. Wait... is that why there's a shortage? :p

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Ah.... so they mean actual complete processors, as in 4 I7 processor packages.
Well if that is what we are going to.... yippee! Though I hope that game and program makers will not be 'lazy coders' and write badly because processers will take up the slack and massive amounts of RAM will take up the slack.

G

I got a few SLC SSD'S myself when they were considered "obsolete". Well, they will last another decade at least. Enterprise SLC with built-in full encryption hardware.

Where can I find SLC today? The "industry" claims there is no demand, but they are fake news. There is a demand. But you have to be a strong player to get access. Samsung still sells SLC drives to a few partners. But you, no, you are screwed. Expect your drive to last a few years, and then replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.