[SOLVED] flash memory long term storage

Solution
What best media for long term storage files?

flash memory (USB flash drive and microSD card) is good for long term storage of files?
SSD/Flash only guarantees that your data will be persistent for 1 year from last power on. External HDD's will allow for years between power on for data to still be there. Tape is another archival medium that will last for years without being powered on.

flash memory (USB flash drive and microSD card) is good for long term storage of files?
SSD/Flash only guarantees that your data will be persistent for 1 year from last power on. External HDD's will allow for years between power on for data to still be there. Tape is another archival medium that will last for years without being powered on.

Solution

Need to answer the following to give a good answer:
  • How long is "long term"?
  • How much data are you storing?
  • Where do you plan on keeping the media?
I will pre-emptively say that flash media is the last choice to consider for long term storage.

cloudff7ps1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
I will not use it constantly I will transfer the files and keep the media so something that will store the files for as many years as possible.

do i currently store 4 or 5gb maximum up to 11gb?

I keep the media in boxes on my bedroom shelf

I will not use it constantly I will transfer the files and keep the media so something that will store the files for as many years as possible.

Since you are doing such a small amount of data, DVD might be the best option. Those should last about 10 years depending on conditions of the storage.

kanewolf

Titan

For that small amount of data one of inexpensive cloud storage options. Amazon glacier keeps multiple copies automatically in multiple geographic locations.

MDisc DVD or common DVD is considered a medium for long-term storage?

how to properly store sata dvd drives long term so they are good in the future?
For consumer grade archival storage, MDisc or Gold archive discs are advertised as such. Normal writable discs may be good for about 10 years even if stored properly.

As for storing the drive, just keep them in a cool, dry place.