[SOLVED] Flash old PCs' bios so boot over ethernet is available

joniop

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Hey guys,

So I have spare old PC in the basement that's collecting dust and I've decided to turn it in some kind of a "experimental" PC by doing certain things on it.
Unfortunately most of the time I do not have access to it, so in case it crashes (which is very possible because of it's age), I need to be able to power cycle it remotely.

I've read that that this is possible on the newer workstations by the so called "boot over ethernet". Unfortunately, this PC is old (the mobo is ASUS P5PL2) and the BIOS doesn't support boot over ethernet.

However, is there a way I can flash the BIOS (or update to a newer one) so that it supports this function? I've assigned it a static IP, installed ESXi and the BIOS is the only thing that's left?

Thank you all in advance!

Solution
But thinking about WOL, bill001g seems to be right about it, It may do nothing because the machine is powered on when it's stuck and I need something to control the power cycle especially in that moment.
To clarify, the WOL and Wake on Power Restore, are solutions to power the system ON after cycling with remote outlet. The RPi is a complex solution that might give you control over AC power and both power and reset buttons.
I think you are best checking to see if the bios has a boot on power detected. This tends to be a fairly common feature. WoL is only on newer stuff and it may not help if the machine is hung since it does nothing if the machine is running..even if it is not actually working.

If all else fails buy the lowest end raspberry pi model you can find and wire it to the reset and power connections on the motherboard. Will take a tiny bit of programming but I am sure someone has done something very similar. Lots and lots of samples since it is designed for children to learn to use computer control systems.

joniop

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Tbh, the raspberry pi idea seems to be very, very interesting. I will for sure need some time to thinker with it because I'm still on enthusiast level though. :sweatsmile:

But thinking about WOL, bill001g seems to be right about it, It may do nothing because the machine is powered on when it's stuck and I need something to control the power cycle especially in that moment.

That power outlet from SamirD also looks cool and reliable and I think that I might prefer this than the ones from AliExpress.

Ok, so for now I will go on with one of the remotely controlled power outlets and I will for sure have a look at the raspberry pi idea as a remote power cycle controller, because it seems like a very, very interesting idea and I really like it.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to the topic, I'm glad that you've shared your great ideas here and helped me out.
Please, if you have more ideas, continue to share it in the topic, for sure will be useful.

To clarify, the WOL and Wake on Power Restore, are solutions to power the system ON after cycling with remote outlet. The RPi is a complex solution that might give you control over AC power and both power and reset buttons.

Solution

joniop

Prominent
Aug 6, 2019
Exactly, that's why I think the RPI will definitely be the best solution, although It's harder to configure. But for sure I will give it a try, there must be a way. ;)