Flash Player Receives GPU Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I've got a better suggestion for Adobe - make Flash backward compatible! The latest version 10 crashes on notebooks that only have 64MB dedicated video cards. Older notebooks and simple netbooks are getting hammered by this. Flash is supposed to be a transparent support application - yet Adobe seems hell-bent on creating a resource hog that will now require high-performance GPU support to function. That approach will make any netbook sold within the last year worthless as a web browser in 12 months.

maximus559

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Hope they plan to support all GPUs, not just NVIDIAs. That would be very disagreeable. Barring that possibility, awesome! -and about time too. I've been thinking that Flash should use graphics cards for years.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]How about working with Apple for iphone/ipod Flash? =D And make a *fully working* true 64 bit version...REALLY.[/citation]
What?

Something doesn't work on an Apple product? But doesn't it "just work"?

THEY LIED TO ME!!!

G

Adobe still doesn't have a 64-bit flash player for 64-bit browsers yet!

Yet we aleady have 64-bit browsers - Both Internet Explorer and FireFox(shiretoko) 3.5 beta 4

They can't even fix the security holes in any of their software.
Now they are adding GPU support???

That's just another venue of attack they are adding if they can't get their act together with securing their software.

I hear there is plenty of complaints about their CS4 photoshop and other CS4 programs not to mention their customer support is worse than ever.

G

@Luscious
".....will make any netbook sold within the last year worthless as a web browser in 12 months"

You warn people not to buy horribly under powered computers, but they inevitably do, and in less than 2 years the "not fast enough" complaints always start.

G

what about On2 VP6 support, most flash video sites use that codec and its also the new JavaFX codec? More sites use VP6 than H264....

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
I've been using Foxit reader at home and I'm really impressed with it's speed and tabbing capabilities. Those complaining about Acrobat Reader should give it a try.

[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]Looks like Intel has a war comming with the Ion.[/citation]

next gen intels everywhere will have imc's and most of the NB etc - next gen Intel Atoms wont have an Nvidia chipset - nvidia doesnt have a licence to make anything for them!

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Funny how you went from "Flash Player Receives GPU" to "Adobe's Flash Player will finally receive GPU support".

Has it or will it?

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]What?Something doesn't work on an Apple product? But doesn't it "just work"?THEY LIED TO ME!!![/citation]
Dude you realize that how long the iphone and ipod touch have been out for? Why make fun of a good product that still outsells any other smart phone and it's on the shittiest network. Oh ok yeah cuz of all the marketing and fanboys right... give it a break, there is more to a phone then just jamming all the technology you can find into it, reliable and plentiful software makes a huge difference. Look at the black berry storm... It's got way better specs then the iphone but you can't tell because of the shitty OS.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
@norbs

You read way to deeply into that comment, and you read incorrectly. Software is at the bottom of my lists of gripes with Apple.

I was making a stab at Apple's marketing, and the general bull they spout.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Adobe is getting more and more like m$, way overpriced, overbloated, crappy, vulnerable $w...
[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]When will AMD start working with developers like that?[/citation]
Would be just a lo$$ of time.
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]And yet we still wait for 64 bit support.[/citation]
There is a linux alpha. Adobe tried to get a freebie with the FOSS community for 64bit porting, but without opening up it's player. Kinda failed...

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
NVIDIA and Adobe share precisely the same vision – visually compelling applications running on every device
Now this one PARTICULARLY made me VERY MAD. If it is so, than HOW COME those hypocritical microsoft ass-licking bastards, haven't made a version of the Creative Suite for Linux? And we're even talking good old x86 instruction set here, not ARM or something exotic. Go to hell with your statements.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
this is a sign of the apocalypse... flash, while useful at times, is generally always a resource hog and an open vector to malware infection since adobe never seems motivated to put out quality code. i have no problem with a system such as flash becoming ubiquitos but it would be nice if it were maintained by develeopers that truely care about their reputation and product and that didn't use insane amounts of resources for the job they do?

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
[citation][nom]whiz[/nom]Now this one PARTICULARLY made me VERY MAD. If it is so, than HOW COME those hypocritical microsoft ass-licking bastards, haven't made a version of the Creative Suite for Linux? And we're even talking good old x86 instruction set here, not ARM or something exotic. Go to hell with your statements.[/citation]

Market share. The quote should read:

"NVIDIA and Adobe share precisely the same vision – visually compelling applications running on every EXTREMELY POPULAR and WELL-SELLING device."

Fixed.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Its about damn time they've added GPU support for Flash. Now they need to tie it into Open GL and Direct X.

Status
Not open for further replies.