Flash ROMS - Sys 4 vs Sys 6 board

I'm a little confused here, and am wanting to make sure I'm doing the right
thing here.

I'm programming a set of CPU and Flipper ROMS for a WMS Flash with a Sys 4
MPU.

Clay's site says to run GREEN flipper ROMS with the CPU ROM that I can
download from his site or the WMS site.

Some documentation I've found says to run a Yellow flipper ROM on a Sys 4
CPU in a Flash, but hints that I need a special CPU ROM to go with the
Yellow flipper ROMS.

My customer is overseas, so I'd like to make certain I get this order right
the first time

I've decided to send the Green flipper ROMS - is that the best choice?

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

I thought this was pretty well explained on the web site.
Flash had such a long production run it went over system4
and system6 boardsets. Because of that, it was available
in both a green and yellow flipper ROM flavor. There are
TWO different CPU versions. you *must* use the system4
CPU version with yellow flip ROMs. likewise for the green
your must use the sys6 Flash CPU version.

When there is a choice, *always* use the later Flipper
ROM version (in this case, green and the green flash CPU
version). that's why the marvin site only has the green
version! the newer green flipper ROM (which is the game's
operating system) works better than yellow. Larry demar
wrote this stuff, and he added lots of improvements to
the diagnostics from version to version. so always use
the newest (green in this case) with the green CPU rom.

John Wart, jr wrote:
> I'm a little confused here, and am wanting to make sure I'm doing the right
> thing here.
>
> I'm programming a set of CPU and Flipper ROMS for a WMS Flash with a Sys 4
> MPU.
>
> Clay's site says to run GREEN flipper ROMS with the CPU ROM that I can
> download from his site or the WMS site.
>
> Some documentation I've found says to run a Yellow flipper ROM on a Sys 4
> CPU in a Flash, but hints that I need a special CPU ROM to go with the
> Yellow flipper ROMS.
>
> My customer is overseas, so I'd like to make certain I get this order right
> the first time
>
> I've decided to send the Green flipper ROMS - is that the best choice?
>
> --
> http://www.myhomegameroom.com

Thanks for clarifying, I was probably putting too much thought into it :)

--john

--

<cfh@provide.net> wrote in message
>I thought this was pretty well explained on the web site.
> Flash had such a long production run it went over system4
> and system6 boardsets. Because of that, it was available
> in both a green and yellow flipper ROM flavor. There are
> TWO different CPU versions. you *must* use the system4
> CPU version with yellow flip ROMs. likewise for the green
> your must use the sys6 Flash CPU version.
>
> When there is a choice, *always* use the later Flipper
> ROM version (in this case, green and the green flash CPU
> version). that's why the marvin site only has the green
> version! the newer green flipper ROM (which is the game's
> operating system) works better than yellow. Larry demar
> wrote this stuff, and he added lots of improvements to
> the diagnostics from version to version. so always use
> the newest (green in this case) with the green CPU rom.
>
> John Wart, jr wrote:
>> I'm a little confused here, and am wanting to make sure I'm doing the
>> right
>> thing here.
>>
>> I'm programming a set of CPU and Flipper ROMS for a WMS Flash with a Sys
>> 4
>> MPU.
>>
>> Clay's site says to run GREEN flipper ROMS with the CPU ROM that I can
>> download from his site or the WMS site.
>>
>> Some documentation I've found says to run a Yellow flipper ROM on a Sys 4
>> CPU in a Flash, but hints that I need a special CPU ROM to go with the
>> Yellow flipper ROMS.
>>
>> My customer is overseas, so I'd like to make certain I get this order
>> right
>> the first time
>>
>> I've decided to send the Green flipper ROMS - is that the best choice?
>>
>> --
>> http://www.myhomegameroom.com

Are you sure you can't use the green 3-chip set on an L-4 board? Not 100%
sure myself. But if not, why?

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

<cfh@provide.net> wrote in message
> I thought this was pretty well explained on the web site.
> Flash had such a long production run it went over system4
> and system6 boardsets. Because of that, it was available
> in both a green and yellow flipper ROM flavor. There are
> TWO different CPU versions. you *must* use the system4
> CPU version with yellow flip ROMs. likewise for the green
> your must use the sys6 Flash CPU version.
>
> When there is a choice, *always* use the later Flipper
> ROM version (in this case, green and the green flash CPU
> version). that's why the marvin site only has the green
> version! the newer green flipper ROM (which is the game's
> operating system) works better than yellow. Larry demar
> wrote this stuff, and he added lots of improvements to
> the diagnostics from version to version. so always use
> the newest (green in this case) with the green CPU rom.
>
> John Wart, jr wrote:
> > I'm a little confused here, and am wanting to make sure I'm doing the
right
> > thing here.
> >
> > I'm programming a set of CPU and Flipper ROMS for a WMS Flash with a Sys
4
> > MPU.
> >
> > Clay's site says to run GREEN flipper ROMS with the CPU ROM that I can
> > download from his site or the WMS site.
> >
> > Some documentation I've found says to run a Yellow flipper ROM on a Sys
4
> > CPU in a Flash, but hints that I need a special CPU ROM to go with the
> > Yellow flipper ROMS.
> >
> > My customer is overseas, so I'd like to make certain I get this order
right
> > the first time
> >
> > I've decided to send the Green flipper ROMS - is that the best choice?
> >
> > --
> > http://www.myhomegameroom.com

Ray he's burning EPROMs so he is of course using a 3-chip EPROM
set up. Two yellow flipper EPROMs and one yellow CPU EPROM,
or two green flipper EPROMs and one green CPU EPROM.

But yes you can use system6 software in a system4 board,
or vice versa, if the board is set up for EPROMs (which of
course it should be!)

On that wacky groovy background music. I don't think that has
anything to do with the CPU board. I believe that's the Sound
ROM. Sounds like that Flash has the wrong sound ROM installed.
Which as you pointed out, may be a good thing.

<cfh@provide.net> wrote:
> Ray he's burning EPROMs so he is of course using a 3-chip EPROM
> set up. Two yellow flipper EPROMs and one yellow CPU EPROM,
> or two green flipper EPROMs and one green CPU EPROM.
>
> But yes you can use system6 software in a system4 board,
> or vice versa, if the board is set up for EPROMs (which of
> course it should be!)
>
> On that wacky groovy background music. I don't think that has
> anything to do with the CPU board. I believe that's the Sound
> ROM. Sounds like that Flash has the wrong sound ROM installed.
> Which as you pointed out, may be a good thing.

Cool- thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I was suspecting on the
ROM/EPROM setup.

Not sure on the sound ROM in that Flash game I have but I'll get a chance to
check everything out at some point (hopefully soon) and make a full report
to the group. The sounds (sound effects) in the game were the same as other
Flash games- just the background sound was much cooler- more constant than
the one(s) you can activate in the green rom set (L-1 and L-2- setting
31,33,35 something like that.)

Thanks! Cool game!

Ray J.