[SOLVED] Flash to new BIOS before or after new PC build is up and running?

emcee2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2021
Doing some last minute prep in-between prepping the office.

Looking on MSI's site I see there is a new BIOS for the X570 Tomahawk WIFI motherboard. The date on the BIOS is Aug. 9th, 2021.

This will be newer then the BIOS on my brand new X570 Tomahawk WIFI. Should I flash this new BIOS before I do anything else? I'm new to the Windows/PC environment so i don't want to get ahead of myself. Should I wait to upgrade this until after I get it up and running. I concerned with making too many changes without knowing what I'm doing.

I've create the BIOS flash drive on my MAC. Reformatted to; ExFAT, master boot record. Renamed file to MSI.ROM

I will rebuilding my first PC this Saturday after being a Mac guy for close to 35 years.
Windows 10 64bit Pro

I've watched a few videos that go over the process, just wanted to check to see if I should do it before I do anything else. I'd rather to just turn it on and have everything work before I start fiddling with anything, just not sure that's realistic.

Thanks for the help, emcee2

Solution

Looking on MSI's site I see there is a new BIOS for the X570 Tomahawk WIFI motherboard. The date on the BIOS is Aug. 9th, 2021.

This will be newer then the BIOS on my brand new X570 Tomahawk WIFI. Should I flash this new BIOS before I do anything else? I'm new to the Windows/PC environment so i don't want to get ahead of myself. Should I wait to upgrade this until after I get it up and running. I concerned with making too many changes without knowing what I'm doing.

I've create the BIOS flash drive on my MAC. Reformatted to; ExFAT, master boot record. Renamed file to MSI.ROM

I will rebuilding my first PC this Saturday after being a Mac guy for close to 35 years...

I will rebuilding my first PC this Saturday after being a Mac guy for close to 35 years.
Windows 10 64bit Pro

I've watched a few videos that go over the process, just wanted to check to see if I should do it before I do anything else. I'd rather to just turn it on and have everything work before I start fiddling with anything, just not sure that's realistic.

Thanks for the help, emcee2
You could just format the flash drive as FAT32 or the mobo wont read the drive, download and extract the rom .zip file, and copy paste the whole folder to the flash drive.

Plug it in the top rear panel usb port, turn on your pc, and go into m flash menu. find your folder that contains the rom and select that one. also dont rename the rom file extension, the bios file will just pop up as usual in the m flash menu if the bios extension is not changed, so le it be as usual.

Solution