[SOLVED] Flashed wrong bios on Asus P8Z68-V pro, now it won't post

Jumpingmonkey2

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
As I mentioned in the title, I have flashed the wrong bios, now my PC won't post.
The fans spin fully as they usually do when I start the computer, but they never ramp down, the cpu led is solid red and the sapphire logo is glowing on the GPU.
It looks like it will start, but nothing happens, no beep, no video output, nothing.
I bought a 3770K to upgrade from my 2500K and realized I will have to update the bios for this chip to work.
I guess I rushed and accidentally downloaded bios for regular P8Z68-V instead of the pro, which I'm fairly certain I have, although I'm not sure how to check.

Is there any saving this or is it paperweight?
The flash itself went through with ezflash utility, it said it needs to reboot so I hit ok and it never booted.
I tried clearing cmos several times to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
At least his board have socketed BIOS chip (left middle under "SATA 6 Gb/s" print). Should be not hard to take out for reflashing.

ASUS%20Visual%20Top.jpg

thesub3001

Honorable
Dec 30, 2017
I just want to ask, the start up where nothing happens, no video output, beeps etc. It happens with both the 3770k and the 2500k? I am not sure here but some mobos do have a way to recover the bios, some even have a second bios for recovery if I am not mistaken, someone with more knowledge has to say if/how you can restore it. I would not even suggest warranty considering the age of the 3rd and 2nd series.

Try to clear the RTC RAM to see if it can boot.

The RTC jumper is located at the bottom right of your motherboard.

To erase the RTC RAM:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.

2. Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5-10 seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1-2.

3. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.

4. Hold down the <Del> key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data.

I highly doubt you flashed the wrong bios. The chances are the board would never allow this as it has a check to make sure you are flashing a compatible bios.

What is more likely is the flash failed.

If your board has a socketed bios chip replace it with a good one.

Jumpingmonkey2

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
You are correct, I don't think wrong bios is the problem. I do have the p8z68-v it is written under the graphics card that I now removed.
So what gives? The flash worked, it got to the end and asked to restart so I hit ok and it jist got stuck.

I tried the jumper, i tried removing the cmos battery, I tried unpligging everything except hdmi into mobo, 1 stick of ram and cpu, same thing, it just hangs there, fans going full blast, cpu led is red and nothing happens.

I tries reseating the 2500K, same thing, I tried the 3770K, same 4 beeps from before, which caused me to go update the bios in the first place.

Should I order a new bios chip?

Jumpingmonkey2

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
I just want to ask, the start up where nothing happens, no video output, beeps etc. It happens with both the 3770k and the 2500k? I am not sure here but some mobos do have a way to recover the bios, some even have a second bios for recovery if I am not mistaken, someone with more knowledge has to say if/how you can restore it. I would not even suggest warranty considering the age of the 3rd and 2nd series.

With 3770K I get 4 beeps and hang, same thing I got when I originally tried it back when 2500K was working fine with 0606 bios.
I don' have another cpu to try, but I doubt it's the cpu or ram, since it worked fine when I put the 2500K back in to flash the bios, booted into windows no problem, I could download the bios and flash it fine.

I searched around and people say you can restore bios from the cd that came with the mobo, but sadly I don't have that anymore.

I did flash with a ntfs flash drive, could that be the problem?

How do I know if mobo is paperweight? Would ordering a mew bios chip save it?

Jumpingmonkey2

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
I have tried putting the 3770k in again. 4 beeps, red cpu led and lock up same as with 2500k, fans spin everything has power, just nothing happens, no video output, nothing.

Doubt it's a psu issue since drives spin up bit sata is unplugged.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
2500K in now, with no ram in I get 1 long 2 short beeps. If I put 1 stick back I'm again stuck back with no response.
1 long beep followed by two short beeps means no memory detected --so at least we know the motherboard is working somewhat. Its firmware is still functional to do POST.
Try changing RAM sticks around if you have any spare. If you don't, try cleaning the contacts and reseating them. I had no boot cases where the culprit was faulty RAM sticks or just needing some cleaning+reseating.

Jumpingmonkey2

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
1 long beep followed by two short beeps means no memory detected --so at least we know the motherboard is working somewhat. Its firmware is still functional to do POST.
Try changing RAM sticks around if you have any spare. If you don't, try cleaning the contacts and reseating them. I had no boot cases where the culprit was faulty RAM sticks or just needing some cleaning+reseating.

That's what I'm thinking, board is definitely showing signs of life still, since it beeps with no ram and if I put the 3770K in I get 4 beeps.
Cpu light aparently indicates not detecting cpu, but I cleaned the contacts, checked the pins, everything is fine, I tried reseating like 5 times now to no result.
Shlouldn' it get to bios anyway with no ram sticks in?
Is it possible the 2500K is dead? I don't see how it would die though, it worked just fine, I even swapped it back in to download the bios, just after the bios flash it all went dead.
I will try fiddling with ram some more.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
That's what I'm thinking, board is definitely showing signs of life still, since it beeps with no ram and if I put the 3770K in I get 4 beeps.
Cpu light aparently indicates not detecting cpu, but I cleaned the contacts, checked the pins, everything is fine, I tried reseating like 5 times now to no result.
Shlouldn' it get to bios anyway with no ram sticks in?
Is it possible the 2500K is dead? I don't see how it would die though, it worked just fine, I even swapped it back in to download the bios, just after the bios flash it all went dead.
I will try fiddling with ram some more.

I wouldn't count on the 2500K being dead. My best guess would be borked BIOS flash that can occur time to time.
Out of curiosity, do the four beeps consist of one long and three short? As in no graphics adapter installed? Reseating the GPU might help if you haven't already

Jumpingmonkey2

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
So I ended up buying a different motherboard, Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H.
3770K works fine in it, but I do realise I pretty much wasted my money, since it's a pretty bad chip, crashes after 2 mins of Prime95 with 4.4Ghz @ 1.35V.
I'm really dissapointed, all this work and money, just to conclude my old 2500K was better, it went to 4.6Ghz at 1.27V.
That's what I got with auto voltage with +0.030 offset, with auto voltage it won't even boot fully into windows with even 4.2GHz, could this be a degraded CPU or is Ivy just this bad with silicon lottery?
I tried up to 1.330V manual and it crashes when loading windows, even with 4.2GHz, it's like it doesn't want to overclock at all, it works somewhat with auto voltage with positive offset, just OCing the turbo, but crashes on Prime95 as I said.
Not sure if I should just dump volts into this or spend more money and try to get a 2600K. I really need the extra threads for newer games, and now I'm already 180€ deep into this, not sure if I want to dump another 60€ for a 2600K to try and match 4.6Ghz I had before.

I guess I'm not meant to play No Man's Sky without stutters, since the 2500K couldn't handle it due to low thread counts.

Jumpingmonkey2

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
I wouldn't count on the 2500K being dead. My best guess would be borked BIOS flash that can occur time to time.
Out of curiosity, do the four beeps consist of one long and three short? As in no graphics adapter installed? Reseating the GPU might help if you haven't already

I ended up buying a new Mobo, check my post above this one. I will order a new bios chip for the ASUS board and if it works I'll order some ram, put that stuff into a case, slap a cooler on it and probably sell it to try and regain some of my lost money on this dud 3770K + mobo (90€ mobo + 80€ 3770K only to find out it won't OC like at all)

If I were you I would stop there for that system.

For the money you spent already you could have bought a used B450 Tomahawk MAX + a used Ryzen 3600 + 16GB of DDR4 RAM.

You sure you want to spend more money on that 8 years old platform to maybe make it work? None of those CPU's will give you any real difference.

To see a difference you have to jump to a more recent system. Especially when they cost the same.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

For the money you spent already you could have bought a used B450 Tomahawk MAX + a used Ryzen 3600 + 16GB of DDR4 RAM.

You sure you want to spend more money on that 8 years old platform to maybe make it work? None of those CPU's will give you any real difference.

To see a difference you have to jump to a more recent system. Especially when they cost the same.

QFT. Didn't realize OP spent more for another motherboard, but I understand since the Asus board went funky.

OP. for the amount of money you're close to spend you could be better off with a Ryzen or 10th gen Intel. Even a 3300X or 10100F would do you so much better compared to keeping an Ivy Bridge system competitive. We can only do so much to extend its lifetime.

IB was amazing, it still is, but the newer Zen and Intel chips are plain better. If possible, look around for used deals on x3xx boards (AM4) or whatever is equivalent on Intel's. That should be enough to tide you over until new hardware prices and availability normalize.

I ended up buying a new Mobo, check my post above this one. I will order a new bios chip for the ASUS board and if it works I'll order some ram, put that stuff into a case, slap a cooler on it and probably sell it to try and regain some of my lost money on this dud 3770K + mobo (90€ mobo + 80€ 3770K only to find out it won't OC like at all)

Yep. Sell the old hardware. IB has ran its good run, now either sell it or keep it as a nostalgia piece.

Jumpingmonkey2

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015

I tried, but I can't find any good deals in my country. People are selling Ryzen 3600's for 250+, at which point I would just get a NEW 10600KF for 220€.
In hindsight I should have gotten the 10600KF initially before even looking at 3770K's, for 550€ I could have bought 10600KF, Z590 mobo and 16GB RAM. Even had it in the basket, before I dumbly decided to get all this junk.
I wouldn't even be upset if it wasn't for the fact the 3770K I got WILL NOT OC! It keeps crashing, even if I dump a bunch of volts into it. :rolleyes:

I tried, but I can't find any good deals in my country. People are selling Ryzen 3600's for 250+, at which point I would just get a NEW 10600KF for 220€.
In hindsight I should have gotten the 10600KF initially before even looking at 3770K's, for 550€ I could have bought 10600KF, Z590 mobo and 16GB RAM. Even had it in the basket, before I dumbly decided to get all this junk.
I wouldn't even be upset if it wasn't for the fact the 3770K I got WILL NOT OC! It keeps crashing, even if I dump a bunch of volts into it. :rolleyes:

This is why it is worth to do some research before purchasing stuff. Of course there still is a market for older hardware, howeber it should circulate at adequately lower price. The only exception now probably are GPUs.