Flashed Wrong Bios...Please help me :-(

Antigravity

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Ok so I am getting rid of my current rig while building a new one. I wanted to upgrade everything to work at top notch to the person I am giving it to. So I went out and found the Asus Bios that I needed for my P4P800 motherboard.

Here's the problem:

I got the BIOS for the P4P800E Deluxe.
I own the P4P800 Deluxe.

Now my motherboard won't even out put to the monitor, let alone post. Please THF members, help me out with this!

I have tried reseting the bios with the jumper, taking the battery out THEN reseting using the jumper, taking out all the memory and reseting, etc.

I believe I have tried everything but nothing will get the motherboard to output to the monitor. All that happens is that the power light on the monitor just flashes its normal "power on" color.

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
It doesn't even do the floppy seek? It'll need a new BIOS chip, sorry. Try calling Asus support, it shouldn't cost too much.

Antigravity

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Anyone? I really need this mobo fixed ASAP. All of my websites are backed up on the drive and it won't let me access the data with an enclosure. Because "Owner" is "access denied."

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
If you know anyone with the same board and if they're willing to do it. You can use their board to flash your bios.

Boot their computer up with their bios, inserting the asus flash utility before booting, then when the prompt appears on the screen switch out the bios chips, then flash your bios with the correct one, reboot to see if it worked and then but the original bios chip back in.

I hope that made sense.

Otherwise you will need to contact asus about getting a new bios chip. I believe they're pretty cheap, I think I heard <$5.00, but that was a while ago...

HTH

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
If you can even get it, a new bios chip will cost at lest 40 dollars.
Call asus and find out how much it will cost to fix.
Get a cheep replacement board and use it.
Bios chip replacements do not normally require soldering skills.

vulcanlg

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
My buddy just had to get a new bios chip from asus and it cost him 10 dollars for the striker extreme board.Ships from Indiana. Also no it doesnt require any special tools. Just pop out and pop in and there you go.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
replacement chips dont need any special skills to replace... normally

as others have said they cost $5-10 max,
they (asus) will send you a chip in an antistatic block/bag
im not sure about your motherboard, but for most of them, the chip isnt soldered in. there insrted into a squarish socket. to replace, simply lever out the dead chip, and reinsert the new one, taking notice of polarity.

** when u remove the old chip, take care not to damage the socket pins!

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
Have u tried this (copy and paste from my note in case I mess up):
Step by step guide to recover corrupt Award BIOS:

1. Make a bootable floopy disk. One easy way to create boot disk is to use Windows Explorer (or Computer window in Vista and ‘Copy system files’ in older version) to format the floppy disk, and select the option ‘Create a MS-DOS startup disk’.
2. Copy the Award flash utility & BIOS file to the floppy disk. Both files can be downloaded from motherboard’s manufacturer.
3. Create an autoexec.bat file with any text editor such as Notepad, and type in an auto flash command in following syntax: Award_Flash_Utility BIOS_Filename. For example,

awdfl823K w6378vms.130
(awdfl823k been filename of flash utility and w6378vms.130 been the filename of BIOS file.)

or

awdflash XXXXXXXX.BIN /py/sn/f/cc/r
flashv73 XXXXXXXX.BIN /py/sn/f/cc/r

(awdflash and flashv73 been filename of flash tool, and XXXXXXXX.BIN is file name of BIOS dump. All switches after the flash command are necessary when flashing the BIOS. It has the following meaning:

py = program yes
sn = save no
f = flash
cc = clear CMOS
r = reboot)

Replace with the file name of your BIOS flash utility and BIOS file. Remember to save the file as autoexec.bat.
4. Boot up system with the floppy.
5. The system should auto execute autoexec.bat and flash overwrite the BIOS. If any prompt appears, follow accordingly.
6. Reboot the computer.

Recovery procedures for AMI BIOS

1. Download the latest version or your choose version of BIOS file for your computer or motherboard from the manufacturer’s support site.
2. Rename the downloaded file to AMIBOOT.ROM.
3. Copy the file to a floppy disk.
4. Insert the floppy disk to the floppy drive.
5. Turn on the system.
6. The system should automatically access the floppy drive (indicated LED will light up). If no floppy access occurs press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. Follow any on screen instruction to restore and recover the good BIOS from the floppy disk.
7. When 4 beeps are heard or a reboot prompt you may remove the floppy disk.
8. Restart the computer.

Also: some MB makers can restore BIOS from the CD that comes with the motherboard, try popping the disc in.

Antigravity

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the help Thaun, but right now the computer doesn't even do anything would resemble recognizing a drive. I just tried the CD drive last night. The floppy doesn't work either.

The motherboard doesn't even post. Let alone provide output to the screen.

Thanks for the help Thaun, but right now the computer doesn't even do anything would resemble recognizing a drive. I just tried the CD drive last night. The floppy doesn't work either.

The motherboard doesn't even post. Let alone provide output to the screen.

If that's the way the board is acting, truly your only recourse is to replace the BIOS chip. Visit the The BIOSMan for replacements chips, how-to and a walk-thru.'

Good luck!

utaka95

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
It doesn't even do the floppy seek? It'll need a new BIOS chip, sorry. Try calling Asus support, it shouldn't cost too much.

Funny how people will come here asking for advice, but when they get it, it isn't good enough or maybe the answer isn't what they want to hear, so they keep on. Trust me dude, you aren't the first person I've seen screw up a BIOS flash - you need a BIOS chip.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Muahahaha... your mistake brings me great pleasure! Around 10 years ago I flashed an Award BIOS based board with an AMI BIOS (or did I get that backwards?) Back then the flash utility didn't validate that you had the appropriate file and I zapped it. Thankfully it was a customer's PC and not my own! :) Posts like this one remind me of that wonderful experience.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

You can change the credentials on the drive by placing it in a computer that has a Windows XP install, using either sata or ide depending on which yours is, then after the drive is recognized by XP, you reboot in safe mode, go into the explorer, right click on the drive itself, go to the security tab(which is only available in safe mode BTW) and then changing the administrator access to "FULL"..then you will have acess to the drive's content. Here a quick guide to do this : http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/8126-access-denied-folder-after-reinstall.html

Hope this helps for this part, And for the BIOS, well as the others pointed out, good luck.

Antigravity

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Ok, thankfully, I just remembered why I chose ASUS motherboards. I called the company and they are sending me a bios chip for the cost of shipping.

Sometimes I luck out. The motherboard was purchased at the end of '03.

torcida_kutina

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
You should listen to THUAN. With autoexec.bat file he told you to create, MBO doesn't have to boot anyway. It work for itself even the screen is black, and you think nothing will happen. After few minutes, when comp restarts, everything is back to normal. You could save some money, but you didn't try.

diashto

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Or, alternately, pull the drive out, putit in an enclosure, and boot another computer using a Knoppix (or other) LiveCD. Linux doesnt care about "Owner" rights on NTFS volumes.

TRENDING THREADS