[SOLVED] Flashing ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I just got parts to make a new system. 5600x, g.skill ddr4 3800mzh trident z neo, evga 850w psu (confirmed working), rtx 3070 (confirmed working), and ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus mobo. I do not have access to an older AM4 cpu and this motherboard isn't flashing when I have a formatted fat32 flash drive with the bios update (followed asus instructions). I can get to "please press del or f2 to enter uefi bios" but can't get past that. Any way to fix this besides trying to find some kind soul that will let me borrow an older cpu to flash the mobo?

Edit: flash drive lights up when plugged in, I've tried every front and back port for the flash drive. And I'm using a Logitech g710 keyboard, don't have access to any others. I've seen where sometimes keyboards won't work on new systems and you need to use a cheap keyboard, could that be the issue why f2 and del aren't doing anything?
And I tried g.skill ripjaws ram from my older Intel system and still didn't work.

Last edited:
Solution
Your RAM is the culprit if DRAM led stays lit and post will not continue till the error is rectified. You will not be able to access Bios.
Concentrate on this RAM issue by testing your Modules. You can boot using Memtest86 from a USB to test for errors and if any errors are found then RMA the full kit. If your not sure how to conduct RAM test I can provide more info.
You should only test your RAM modules with RAM that has been chosen from the MB QVL that are tested and known to work. Ensure the modules are seated correctly especially offside to the clip.

Should no RAM slots work with switching modules then the MB may have issues.
Unfortunately you do not have IO Flashback however you can update Bios to latest version using your EZ Flash3 utility from the Tools section in Bios.
Download the Bios file from ASUS pertaining to your MB. Unzip the file if zipped and rename the file to TGX570P.CAP
Transfer the file to your USB and insert to the appropriate USB port.
You should be able to access Bios during startup using the F2 function key or by spamming the DELETE key.

Reactions: logox

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Unfortunately you do not have IO Flashback however you can update Bios to latest version using your EZ Flash3 utility from the Tools section in Bios.
Download the Bios file from ASUS pertaining to your MB. Unzip the file if zipped and rename the file to TGX570P.CAP
Transfer the file to your USB and insert to the appropriate USB port.
You should be able to access Bios during startup using the F2 function key or by spamming the DELETE key.
I cannot get f2 or del to let me into the bios, I've spemmed multiple times ranging from slow to extremely fast. Should I get some cheap keyboard like a Dell to see if my keyboard is the issue preventing it? My keyboard (Logitech g710) does light up but seems as if my system either doesn't detect any imput from keys, or something else is preventing me from getting in the bios using f2 or del.

You have a series of Troubleshooting LEDs at the top left of your MB. Do any of them stay lit during and after POST.
If so then identify the culprit.

Have you tried to clear your CMOS to bring Bios back to default?
In case for some reason your Bios is corrupted then you can retrieve it from your installation disk.

Also: What instructions for updating Bios did ASUS provide?

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
You have a series of Troubleshooting LEDs at the top left of your MB. Do any of them stay lit during and after POST.

In case for some reason your Bios is corrupted then you can retrieve it from your installation disk.
Top right there is an orange/amber light indicating ram issue, but I've tried each stick of my new ram in every slot, even tried confirmed working ram from my old Intel build which did the same thing. It is all new parts besides the psu and gpu, but I will try to clear cmos and see if that works.

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

And I don't think it's posting, it won't go past the "please press f2 or delete" screen even if I wait minutes.

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

They said to format flash drive to fat32, download the bios update to flash it, unzip and run the bios renamer then copy and paste that file only into the flash drive without there being a folder, plug it into the USB port on the I/O and power on.

Your RAM is the culprit if DRAM led stays lit and post will not continue till the error is rectified. You will not be able to access Bios.
Concentrate on this RAM issue by testing your Modules. You can boot using Memtest86 from a USB to test for errors and if any errors are found then RMA the full kit. If your not sure how to conduct RAM test I can provide more info.
You should only test your RAM modules with RAM that has been chosen from the MB QVL that are tested and known to work. Ensure the modules are seated correctly especially offside to the clip.

Solution

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

I've tested two different types of ram and 4 different sticks, two old sticks that I know worked with my last Intel build, and two new ones which also work on my old Intel build. I've tried each stick in each slot (I know which I should use, but thinking in case there is a single slot defective on my mobo or something) and I'm as sure as I can be it's seated correctly and clicked into place. I tested the new ram just now with memtest64 and it had no errors detected. Also, cpu-z shows the correct frequency, timing, and size for it on my Intel build. I really don't think it's the ram itself. I was able to launch escape from tarkov video game, browse the web, so on. I see 4x8gb variants of both sets of ram I tested on the QVL, but not the 2x16 live I've been using.

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I've tested two different types of ram and 4 different sticks, two old sticks that I know worked with my last Intel build, and two new ones which also work on my old Intel build. I've tried each stick in each slot (I know which I should use, but thinking in case there is a single slot defective on my mobo or something) and I'm as sure as I can be it's seated correctly and clicked into place. I tested the new ram just now with memtest64 and it had no errors detected. Also, cpu-z shows the correct frequency, timing, and size for it on my Intel build. I really don't think it's the ram itself. I was able to launch escape from tarkov video game, browse the web, so on. I see 4x8gb variants of both sets of ram I tested on the QVL, but not the 2x16 live I've been using.
I forgot to mention, if I place any of the ram into the new system in any of the 3 channels it's not supposed to go for only one stick being used I don't even get to the "press f2 or del to enter bios" and I have to long press the power button, not just tap it to get it to turn off like I do when there's 1 or 2 sticks in the normal 2nd and 4th slot away from the cpu.

Well that's about all I think you can test as you have done with your modules.
Testing as you are is correct so the problem is the MB. It's major if all slots are dead and the RAM your using are compatible and known to work error free.
Time to benchtest the MB out of the case is all I can suggest.:(

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Testing as you are is correct so the problem is the MB. It's major if all slots are dead and the RAM your using are compatible and known to work error free.
I'll do that and remove all storage and everything where it's barebones. If that results the same I will try a cheap keyboard to see... I hope I don't have to deal with asus customer service 🤞. Will update when I get the system up and running.

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
So I got a cheapo basic Logitech keyboard, took the hdds out and nothing, then tried taking the Samsung 970 Evo plus 1tb m.2 out and I can get into bios now.

Edit: old bios version was 2407, I'm flashing to 2607 then the newest version (read where people were saying to not skip too many updates)
If anyone reads this in the future and has a similar issue, try removing your m.2 drive and using a keyboard that doesn't need a driver/software.

Last edited: