Flashing bios for AM3 Support

rajadog

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
Hey all I have this computer http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-DX4200-09-DVD-RAM-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B001NVW8F0 .
I got it really cheap like 300$ at best buy. I have changed the cpu out for a 2.3ghz phenom quad core, put in a hd radeon 4870, and a 500 watt power supply. Now the mobo has am2+ support. I know there is usually a bios update so you can run am3 processors on it but apparently gateway has not released one yet. I would like to get a better processor for crysis 2 and bf3 but I have the best I can get ATM since my mobo is limiting me to 95 watts and am2. I found that someone with the same computer as me flashed their bios so it supports am3 cpus. Here is the link http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...x4200-With-Am3-surport-and-slic-2.1-acer-bios. Im skeptical about trying this because i don't want to risk my computer not posting as I dont have any backup CDS at the moment. Should I give this a try or just update my mobo? Thanks!

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
AM3 and support for 125/140w CPUs is a electrical requirement based on the physical socket. You cannot make it physically support AM3 if it electrically cannot support it or any CPU over 95w. As for OEMs like Gateway, Dell, HP and more... they you do not support upgrades of the CPUs much later than the one installed at the time of manufacture. Using a custom BIOS can easily turn your system into a useless brick. All the backup CDs in the world cannot recover your BIOS once you have killed it. Only the OEM or very experienced person can recover it. Sometimes the BIOS can be ruined and the only fix is to change the physical BIOS chip on the board.

So to make a long story short... don't try it unless you are prepared to buy a new board if you fail. But while we are on the subject, if that OEM case can support standard micro-ATX, it would be in your best interest to get a new motherboard around $40-70 with your new AM3 CPU, then you have nothing to worry about but your RAM sticks. Your PSU, video card and hard drives will all still be compatible. And if you can switch to a new board with DDR3 memory, you will like it better because you can easily get 4-8GB for half the price of the DDR2 you have now.

Note: That board can only support up to 8GB of DDR2 (two sticks) -OR- up to 8GB of DDR3 (two sticks), and you cannot use both at the same time.

It does support AM2 and AM3 CPUs. And you would be able to overclock, at least somewhat. Micro-ATX boards aren't the best at overclocking.

Looks like it would work for you, as long as it would fit in the Gateway's case.