Question Flashing bios for b450m mortar titanium

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Will be using with a 3700x cpu. Should I flash directly into the latest bios or in order by date of release?

Lutfij

Titan
I would suggest that you work your way up gradually as opposed to jumping on the latest, if you have a number of BIOSes to go through. Please update manually, do not use Dragon Center to update the BIOS. It can brick the board if the update goes awry.

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
I would suggest that you work your way up gradually as opposed to jumping on the latest, if you have a number of BIOSes to go through. Please update manually, do not use Dragon Center to update the BIOS. It can brick the board if the update goes awry.
Okay, thanks, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Should i start with the bios that supports the ryzen 3000 series or earlier?

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Flashback has had problems in the past so I wouldn't like to tempt fate to many times. It would be better if you have access to a 1000 or 2000 processor to use for it, but if you just don't I'd say just do it once only by flashback, to the latest Ryzen 3000 BIOS.
Using old cpus would be safer but sadly no I dont have access to any.

Do latest bios carry the upgrades its previous version do? i.e (Version 21 will have the updates of V20 and 19)

Do latest bios carry the upgrades its previous version do? i.e (Version 21 will have the updates of V20 and 19)

Yes. But if it's concerning you could do just the first in the Ryzen 3000 BIOS's. Since it will then work with your 3700X get the following ones in succession using M-Flash. Ryzen 3000 BIOS's are completely different from those for 1000 and 2000 CPU's, so there's nothing possible it would need from the earlier BIOS's.

Be sure to follow instructions carefully for doing the flash-back and especally give it enough time. Common mistakes are people don't format the USB in FAT32, don't extract the BIOS file, don't rename it and/or don't locate it in the root directory. Another problem is the flashback feature frequently doesn't recognize a USB drive even when formatted correctly, so have a variety ready to try. Especially of older ones, it seems to like those.

Hopefully it will come with a compatible BIOS already loaded. Be sure to check for that first.

Last edited:

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Yes. But if it's concerning you could do just the first in the Ryzen 3000 BIOS's. Since it will then work with your 3700X get the following ones in succession using M-Flash. Ryzen 3000 BIOS's are completely different from those for 1000 and 2000 CPU's, so there's nothing possible it would need from the earlier BIOS's.

Be sure to follow instructions carefully for doing the flash-back and especally give it enough time. Common mistakes are people don't format the USB in FAT32, don't extract the BIOS file, don't rename it and/or don't locate it in the root directory. Another problem is the flashback feature frequently doesn't recognize a USB drive even when formatted correctly, so have a variety ready to try. Especially of older ones, it seems to like those.

Hopefully it will come with a compatible BIOS already loaded. Be sure to check for that first.
Yeah I think i'd make that as my first option to do then just use M-flash. But my secondary concern was that I may need some bios update for my ram because succeeding bios updates was for memory (I did check my motherboard spec compatibility list my ram was not on the list I guess because its a newer model). For reference (pn : CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 ) In which case I guess I'd have to keep flashing using the flashback correct?

Yeah I think i'd make that as my first option to do then just use M-flash. But my secondary concern was that I may need some bios update for my ram because succeeding bios updates was for memory (I did check my motherboard spec compatibility list my ram was not on the list I guess because its a newer model). For reference (pn : CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 ) In which case I guess I'd have to keep flashing using the flashback correct?

The BIOS updates don't actually update anything on the DIMM's. A statement like 'improve memory compatibility' just means they altered something about how it initializes the processor to start talking to RAM, or other start-up parameters like the voltages used during memory training. And don't worry about working with your RAM, I'm sure it will be fine. And yes, they rarely keep those lists updated on mfr's web sites.

Once you have a BIOS that's compatible with your CPU you shouldn't really need to use flashback so long as the CPU is installed. And GPU too, of course, since you'd need to have a display to get into BIOS and use M-Flash.

One other thing I forgot: be sure to clear CMOS before you start updating. Check manual for where the pins are, but short those pins and remove the battery for a few minutes. And after you get a successful update clear CMOS again just to be sure before you start trying to make any changes in BIOS.

Last edited: