Question Flashing BIOS - Is It Dangerous ?

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
Upgraded my A320 M-H BIOS version so I can run my Ryzen 5 3600

Providing you get the bios version from the official website is it fairly safe ?
If it does go wrong, you take the CMOS battery out for a while then re flash again ?

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If it goes wrong, your motherboard is bricked. There's nothing you can do yourself to fix it (unless you're able to find a replacement BIOS chip and swap it for the one on the motherboard).

The biggest risk while flashing is power loss. Don't do it in the middle of a storm, and if you live somewhere with frequent brown/black outs then consider getting a UPS. Other than that, always perform the update from the within the BIOS itself, not through any application in Windows. Always make sure to download the BIOS for your exact mobo model from the manufacturer's website. If you follow those rules it's pretty safe.

But as said above, you don't need to update BIOS for a new GPU.

D

Deleted member 14196

I've done it a bunch of times when needed in my career and lifetime, but each time I pray to the BIOS gods that it goes smooth... lol

never bricked anything yet

i did a reset of windows recently trying to fix and issue and I prayed to the Microsoft Update Installer gods but they never listen... lol, clean install.

i know.... but it makes me feel better at least.