Question Flashing CPU and DRAM lights when the left RAM slot is used

Oct 1, 2020
Been struggling with this for 2 days now. So I bought a used CPU and some RAM the other day to upgrade my PC. Current specs (including the new parts) are:

Motherboard: MSI H110M-VD Plus
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k
Old CPU: Intel Core i3 6100​
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBx2 3000MHz
My motherboard can only handle 2133MHz but from what I read online that shouldn't be a problem? It will just run at the slower speed?​
Old stick of RAM was Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400MHz​
Graphics Card: Radeon RX570

So I came home, installed everything, turned it on, and nothing came on the screen. Just alternating flashing lights on the motherboard (CPU and DRAM). After some messing around I figured out that when I install one stick of RAM (either of the new ones or my old one) into the right slot, everything boots up normally and works good. If I put one stick in the left slot, or put both sticks in, it wont boot up and I get the flashing lights.

I am assuming there is an issue with the left slot on my motherboard? So far I have tried:
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling all my new parts in case I messed something up
  • Checking all cables
  • Cleaning out RAM slot with alcohol and a brush (it's been sitting empty for about a year)
  • Resetting CMOS (did this multiple times after certain steps)
  • Resetting the settings in the BIOS screen
  • Loosening screws on the motherboard in case it was bent or something
  • Changing BIOS settings for the RAM
    • I changed the speed and voltage from Auto to what the tag says on the stick (3000MHz and 1.35V)
  • Updating drivers
I contacted MSI and did everything they recommended except building the computer outside of the case. Maybe there's a short or something grounding out? I will try doing that I just wanted to try and find a fix without taking everything apart.

Is there anything else I can try? Any more BIOS settings to tweak? I'm fairly certain there's no issues with the parts I bought because the computer runs fine with one stick in, I did a benchmark test and it said everything is running well.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your PSU and it's age? Might also want to plonk in the old stick of ram(alone) and make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Check and see if you have any bent or broken pins on the CPU socket.

Your board won't let you go to DDR4-2400MHz, let alone DDR4-3000MHz, so if anything you should've looked into buying a Z 170/270 chipset motherboard to pair with your new processor and ram purchase to avoid this...em, mess.

Oct 1, 2020
What is the make and model of your PSU and it's age? Might also want to plonk in the old stick of ram(alone) and make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Check and see if you have any bent or broken pins on the CPU socket.

Your board won't let you go to DDR4-2400MHz, let alone DDR4-3000MHz, so if anything you should've looked into buying a Z 170/270 chipset motherboard to pair with your new processor and ram purchase to avoid this...em, mess.

The PSU is a Corsair CX500 and it's pretty old... Couldn't say for sure, maybe 6-7 years old? Is there any way I can test it with a multi meter or something?