Flashing horizontal lines

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Hello all, Im currently helping a friend with this issue where his all in one, toshiba lx835-d3300, is showing hm flashing horizontal lines very eradicatly.

I first booted into bios to make sure it wasn't a hard drive issue, and the lines were still there.

And so I then noticed that the lines appeared as soon as the unit would turn on.

So I reseated all the ribbon cables for video to try that, but the screen still showed the lines.

I tried hooking another monitor, or rather a TV as that was the only external device available at the time, but windows wouldn't detect it when connected via hdmi, but during that and using various methods to try and force the unit to move onto the second display device, I belive I ended up tapping the back of the unit not too hard not too soft, and the lines stopped.

End of the next day lines came back, so my question is,

Do you think this is a GPU issue, a ribbon issue, mobo issue, or perhaps simply the screen itself. The unit has never been dropped before, but it is a little older than 5 years old.

MilliaHakumei

Honorable
Oct 2, 2014
Never mind, I forgot one of the basic steps in computer repair, check for updates. Video driver and bios were out of date as when the unit was reinstalled recently it was done through a fresh install, and so did not have all the updates