[SOLVED] Flashing Loading Wheel After Upgrading RAM

Aug 22, 2022
Hi there, I have a issue that just started after putting in new RAM into my computer. My mouse has the loading blue circle next to it after restarting my computer. It's flashing like its processing several small operations. I've updated my BIOS before getting the new RAM and my previous setup didn't have any issues with this loading cursor. See video for a reference of what is happening : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EOM9x5anS8Q

Old RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BLS2K8G4D32AESCK

New RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) CL16

Motherboard: TUF gaming x570-plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I ran DRAM Ryzen calculator several times with no errors. I don't know what could be causing this. I'm not noticing any studdar or lag anywhere - boots perfectly... jut has the loading symbol on the cursor. Thank you for your help!

Solution
Thank you for all of your help Bob! I appreciate it man. One last question is how do I check if one of my slots is bad? Hadn't really thought much about it because if I get a 4x kit it wouldn't matter if one of the slots were bad :)

Thanks again!

Edit: Also its interesting that the loading wheel has went away. It was doing it when I put only the new ram in initially.. and now it doesn't? I had changed up some of the bios until I could get a boot that was stable and reliably able to restart. I've ran a few ram benchmarks/tests with apps and also with windows with 0 errors. (With old ram, new ram, then both together) all had zero errors
Slots.

I suppose you could take a working stick of ram and test in each slot.

Consider...
Hi there, I have a issue that just started after putting in new RAM into my computer. My mouse has the loading blue circle next to it after restarting my computer. It's flashing like its processing several small operations. I've updated my BIOS before getting the new RAM and my previous setup didn't have any issues with this loading cursor. See video for a reference of what is happening : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EOM9x5anS8Q

Old RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BLS2K8G4D32AESCK

New RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) CL16

Motherboard: TUF gaming x570-plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I ran DRAM Ryzen calculator several times with no errors. I don't know what could be causing this. I'm not noticing any studdar or lag anywhere - boots perfectly... jut has the loading symbol on the cursor. Thank you for your help!
After windows loads what speed is the ram running?

Aug 22, 2022
After windows loads what speed is the ram running?

What is really odd is that its saying that I have 48gigs of memory but it should be 64 with all four slots filled... I tried to only the new RAM (2x 16gig) and took out the old ram (2x 8gig and it was still doing the background processes cursor loading icon. Could I have a bad stick of the 16 gig? Or possibly RAM slot issue?

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022
Put just the old ram back in the pc.
Make sure windows sees all of it and running at the proper speed.
If that shows good remove that ram and install the new ram in the same slots.
See if windows sees all of that ram and the proper speed.

Okay so I tested the old memory and then swapped to the new memory. They both had the correct speed of 3200 and run reliably without any crashing.. does this just mean that these two kits don't get along together - even though they are the same brand and speed? They are different capacity tho.. Maybe I'll eventually save up for a 4 stick kit. 32 gigs is plenty right now, as I'm not editing 4k videos... Just 1080p. Down the road I may upgrade. - is there anything I may be missing that is causing them not to work together?

Okay so I tested the old memory and then swapped to the new memory. They both had the correct speed of 3200 and run reliably without any crashing.. does this just mean that these two kits don't get along together - even though they are the same brand and speed? They are different capacity tho.. Maybe I'll eventually save up for a 4 stick kit. 32 gigs is plenty right now, as I'm not editing 4k videos... Just 1080p. Down the road I may upgrade. - is there anything I may be missing that is causing them not to work together?
About all you can do is get the proper bios and then make sure you do not have a bad ram slot.

Mixing ram is a coin flip.

Aug 22, 2022
Thank you for all of your help Bob! I appreciate it man. One last question is how do I check if one of my slots is bad? Hadn't really thought much about it because if I get a 4x kit it wouldn't matter if one of the slots were bad :)

Thanks again!

Edit: Also its interesting that the loading wheel has went away. It was doing it when I put only the new ram in initially.. and now it doesn't? I had changed up some of the bios until I could get a boot that was stable and reliably able to restart. I've ran a few ram benchmarks/tests with apps and also with windows with 0 errors. (With old ram, new ram, then both together) all had zero errors

Last edited:

Thanks again!

Slots.

I suppose you could take a working stick of ram and test in each slot.

Consider a 2x kit it might be less headache.

Solution