[SOLVED] Flashing motherboard help

csal00

Prominent
Sep 4, 2018
So I just got the B450i Gaming Plus and an Athon 200GE to flash it, but it wont boot properly. The CPU debug light stays on and all the fans spin but I get no image. I read that this is the same CPU AMD sends in their boot kits and that it's compatible with all b450 boards. Does my board need an update to support this CPU? Do I need a GPU for it to boot properly? Or is my board defective? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Solution
So I just got the B450i Gaming Plus and an Athon 200GE to flash it, but it wont boot properly. The CPU debug light stays on and all the fans spin but I get no image. I read that this is the same CPU AMD sends in their boot kits and that it's compatible with all b450 boards. Does my board need an update to support this CPU? Do I need a GPU for it to boot properly? Or is my board defective? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

In roder to boot with an Athlon 200GE your motheboard should have come with BIOS 7A40vA9 (from 2019-09-02), so yeah if it has that BIOS version it should be able to run the Ryzen 5/7/9 3XXX out of the BOX too.

The first BIOS was 7A40vA0 (from 2018-06-28 ), and MSI have lots of BIOS after that, last one is...

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
this is not the cpu amd sends to people that needs to update bios, the one they send is a old athlon x4 from the old fm2/fx era

that one comes with the same socket and is sort of a legacy model, very cheap

this one you bougth is new, and was released around a year ago, perhaps less, the motherboard must be old to not have the bios to support it
if you don't have the right cpu, you will not be able to update it with this one

if you can find someone with a r3 1200 or something like that, that should work for sure, otherwise, return to the seller the motherboard, or they do it for you or they give you your money back

csal00

Prominent
Sep 4, 2018
this is not the cpu amd sends to people that needs to update bios, the one they send is a old athlon x4 from the old fm2/fx era

that one comes with the same socket and is sort of a legacy model, very cheap

this one you bougth is new, and was released around a year ago, perhaps less, the motherboard must be old to not have the bios to support it
if you don't have the right cpu, you will not be able to update it with this one

if you can find someone with a r3 1200 or something like that, that should work for sure, otherwise, return to the seller the motherboard, or they do it for you or they give you your money back
For the past few months they have been sending out the Athlon 200GE for people with b450/x470 boards. On MSI's website their is no BIOS update that states compatibility for Athlon 200GE but there is updates for Ryzen 3000. This may be a silly question but if it has already been updated for 3000 cpus it should still work for older gen right? This is my first time working with AMD parts so I have no idea.

In roder to boot with an Athlon 200GE your motheboard should have come with BIOS 7A40vA9 (from 2019-09-02), so yeah if it has that BIOS version it should be able to run the Ryzen 5/7/9 3XXX out of the BOX too.

The first BIOS was 7A40vA0 (from 2018-06-28 ), and MSI have lots of BIOS after that, last one is: 7A40vAB (2019-11-12 ), which you should update eventually to get the lastest improvements for the Ryzen 3000 series.

Are you 100% sure is the Athlon 200GE they send, and not the 200G?

This is your mobo page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450I-GAMING-PLUS-AC#support-cpu

Solution

csal00

Prominent
Sep 4, 2018

The first BIOS was 7A40vA0 (from 2018-06-28 ), and MSI have lots of BIOS after that, last one is: 7A40vAB (2019-11-12 ), which you should update eventually to get the lastest improvements for the Ryzen 3000 series.

Are you 100% sure is the Athlon 200GE they send, and not the 200G?

This is your mobo page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450I-GAMING-PLUS-AC#support-cpu
Ok I see. So my motherboard must be on a very old update. And yes they've been using the 200ge for the past few months. I assumed it would work out of the box.