Flashing Random Solid Colors Before Crash

KingTide

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Yesterday evening my computer started having an issue where after a few minutes (30 or so) my monitor will flicker, begin flashing random solid colors, then the sound stutters and everything locks up, forcing me to hard restart. Initially I thought maybe my ssd was failing because last week my computer was having an issue finding a proper “boot device.” But I’m not sure. It’s a pretty new ssd. Any ideas?

Specs:

GPU: gtx 780
Ssd: Samsung ssd something rather
PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750w
CPU: i7 6700 skylake
Mobo: ASUS Rog Maximus VIII
RAM: G Skill ripjaw 16gb DDR4

Solution

Yep, with a very, very little chance for mobo failure or corrupt software. Take the gpu out and try to run your PC with the integrated graphics... This will confirm if it is the video card that is failing. I personally don't think that it is your PSU because it is a high-quality component. Thus, it is probably your gtx 780 giving out.

KingTide

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
I have wiped and reinstalled gpu drivers. It worked for about a day or so and then it just did the same thing. I have dusted out my computer the best I could. No I don’t have another system to check it on.

PuperHacker

Honorable

Connect your monitor to the motherboard's video output to run it off the iGPU. If it works fine, then I regret to say that it is time to say goodbye to your graphics card. Btw run in safe mode as well to see if it helps and make absolutely sure that both the CPU and the GPU are not overheating. If you want to dive a little deeper you can also try another video card on that build or even underclock the current one (that is if you know how to safely handle it)

KingTide

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Okay so after unplugging and replugging my PSU back into my video card I got it to boot up normally somehow. But I seriously doubt that was the issue. What sort of tests can I run to rule other things out?

Edit: Its already starting to glitch out when I pull up any sort of window

PuperHacker

Honorable

Yep, with a very, very little chance for mobo failure or corrupt software. Take the gpu out and try to run your PC with the integrated graphics... This will confirm if it is the video card that is failing. I personally don't think that it is your PSU because it is a high-quality component. Thus, it is probably your gtx 780 giving out.

Solution