[SOLVED] Flashing rx 5700 to 5700 xt

May 9, 2020
guys yesterday i was playing fortnite with my 60 hz monitor and I had no problem with fornite fps i didnt get any fps drops to like 40-60 ish or microstutters and then i recently bought a 144 hz monitor the aoc 24g2 and when i tried playing fortnite on it i was getting alot of microstutters like frames going from 144hz to 17 ish then go back up and keep in my mind i have adapative sync on my monitor and i have also enable the free sync radeon on amd settings and I tried everything that i could but i couldnt make it to work but luckily it doesnt happens with any other game just fortnite so my question was what if i flash my rx 5700 to 5700 xt will that fix the problem or worsen the problem? and also i tested my gpu and cpu usage via msi afterburner and all i was seeing was my gpu would be around 60-70 % of usage most of the times while cpu will be at 30-40% usage and fixed at 3650 mhz so idk what is really the problem here! i need help asap it hasnt been over 1 month i built this pc
and I already thinking of selling the graphic card and buy an rtx 2070 super or something better than rx 5700 or maybe its just the drivers

I have ryzen 5 2600 not overclock
550 w corsair
16 gb ram adata xpg 3200 mhz
msi b450-a pro max

Solution
im playing on 1080p 144 hz but for some reason some games i play are having fps drops epsecially fortnite goes from 144+ tpo like 50 then go back up and warzone its not much like 144 to 110-120 is fine by me but like i dont know why its happening i doubt its my gpu because its a brand new xfx rx 5700
Exactly what GPU do you have?

Flashing is dangerous mainly when the flash fails that's why the safest GPU to use has dual BIOS; usually a switch. If the flash fails, just change the switch to the other BIOS to boot up then switch back (BIOS is only accessed during bootup) and flash again to fix it.

Other than that, using an XT brand-mate's BIOS is best way to go. The brand mate should use the same board layout and VRM setup and...

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
guys yesterday i was playing fortnite with my 60 hz monitor and I had no problem with fornite fps i didnt get any fps drops to like 40-60 ish or microstutters and then i recently bought a 144 hz monitor the aoc 24g2 and when i tried playing fortnite on it i was getting alot of microstutters like frames going from 144hz to 17 ish then go back up and keep in my mind i have adapative sync on my monitor and i have also enable the free sync radeon on amd settings and I tried everything that i could but i couldnt make it to work but luckily it doesnt happens with any other game just fortnite so my question was what if i flash my rx 5700 to 5700 xt will that fix the problem or worsen the problem? and also i tested my gpu and cpu usage via msi afterburner and all i was seeing was my gpu would be around 60-70 % of usage most of the times while cpu will be at 30-40% usage and fixed at 3650 mhz so idk what is really the problem here! i need help asap it hasnt been over 1 month i built this pc
and I already thinking of selling the graphic card and buy an rtx 2070 super or something better than rx 5700 or maybe its just the drivers

I have ryzen 5 2600 not overclock
550 w corsair
16 gb ram adata xpg 3200 mhz
msi b450-a pro max
At what resolution do you play? Flashing an rx 5700 to an rx 5700xt is not the safest thing to do, it will void warranty and might damage your GPU.

May 9, 2020
At what resolution do you play? Flashing an rx 5700 to an rx 5700xt is not the safest thing to do, it will void warranty and might damage your GPU.
im playing on 1080p 144 hz but for some reason some games i play are having fps drops epsecially fortnite goes from 144+ tpo like 50 then go back up and warzone its not much like 144 to 110-120 is fine by me but like i dont know why its happening i doubt its my gpu because its a brand new xfx rx 5700

Flashing is dangerous mainly when the flash fails that's why the safest GPU to use has dual BIOS; usually a switch. If the flash fails, just change the switch to the other BIOS to boot up then switch back (BIOS is only accessed during bootup) and flash again to fix it.

Other than that, using an XT brand-mate's BIOS is best way to go. The brand mate should use the same board layout and VRM setup and memory chips so that the XT BIOS will work flawlessly. A good flash candidate, for instance, is PowerColor 5700 Red Devil to 5700XT Red Devil as they share PWA and VRM design and as well have switched dual BIOS.

In my case, I flashed my 5700 Red Dragon to 5700XT Red Dragon. It's worked flawlessly although it has less overclock and undervolt margin vs. a true 5700XT. So improvement over a 5700 is dramatic but don't look at the gains for true XT cards a think you can get that too.

Other than re-flashing the best thing you can do with any 5700 card is to under-volt and increase the power limit. Undervolting keeps the GPU performing at or close to boost clocks so stuttering is greatly reduced. AMD and board partners tend to be grossly conservative with way more voltage than needed, along with a reduced power limit, to assure stability so there is often a massive amount of headroom there. So undervolt and crank up the power limiter first, then look to see if there's any overclocking room.

And lastly, flashing a board with a single BIOS is of course quite possible and while riskier actually very safe if you're careful. But even if it it does go badly all is not lost but you need another GPU and an open PCIe slot so you can plug both in. You'll also need to know how to find the PCIe ID of both cards (it's easy with Windows' Device Manager). You will boot using the good GPU to get a display then run a flash program that lets you steer the flash to the PCIe ID of the bad card. If that sounds daunting, then this type of overclocking probably isn't for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V and Phaaze88
Solution
May 9, 2020

Other than that, using an XT brand-mate's BIOS is best way to go. The brand mate should use the same board layout and VRM setup and memory chips so that the XT BIOS will work flawlessly. A good flash candidate, for instance, is PowerColor 5700 Red Devil to 5700XT Red Devil as they share PWA and VRM design and as well have switched dual BIOS.

In my case, I flashed my 5700 Red Dragon to 5700XT Red Dragon. It's worked flawlessly although it has less overclock and undervolt margin vs. a true 5700XT. So improvement over a 5700 is dramatic but don't look at the gains for true XT cards a think you can get that too.

Other than re-flashing the best thing you can do with any 5700 card is to under-volt and increase the power limit. Undervolting keeps the GPU performing at or close to boost clocks so stuttering is greatly reduced. AMD and board partners tend to be grossly conservative with way more voltage than needed, along with a reduced power limit, to assure stability so there is often a massive amount of headroom there. So undervolt and crank up the power limiter first, then look to see if there's any overclocking room.

And lastly, flashing a board with a single BIOS is of course quite possible and while riskier actually very safe if you're careful. But even if it it does go badly all is not lost but you need another GPU and an open PCIe slot so you can plug both in. You'll also need to know how to find the PCIe ID of both cards (it's easy with Windows' Device Manager). You will boot using the good GPU to get a display then run a flash program that lets you steer the flash to the PCIe ID of the bad card. If that sounds daunting, then this type of overclocking probably isn't for you.
hey thanks for replying with such dedication first of. Also my gpu is xfx rx 5700 dd ultra and i don't think i do have an dual bios if i wanted to switch atleast i didnt check yet and if im correct, i think theres only 1 xfx rx 5700 in techpowerup so i dont think i can break my gpu but im not taking any risk yet. I will try to decrease the volt and i have overclocked my gpu from 1750 mhz vram to 1820 mhz and clock speed to 1725 to 1800 with 20% of my power limit which is at the max

May 9, 2020
hey thanks for replying with such dedication first of. Also my gpu is xfx rx 5700 dd ultra and i don't think i do have an dual bios if i wanted to switch atleast i didnt check yet and if im correct, i think theres only 1 xfx rx 5700 in techpowerup so i dont think i can break my gpu but im not taking any risk yet. I will try to decrease the volt and i have overclocked my gpu from 1750 mhz vram to 1820 mhz and clock speed to 1725 to 1800 with 20% of my power limit which is at the max
they are the same right?
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/216000/xfx-rx5700xt-8192-191015-1
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/xfx-rx-5700-double-dissipation-ultra.b7303

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Yes, you could flash your gpu, but that wont fix your problem. Stutters and random dips in framerate are more likely cpu or ram problems. Also psu or storage are more likely than your gpu.

Is your cpu temp high under load? Could be thermal throtteling.
Is your ram correctly installed, runs in dual channel and is docp enabled?
Is fortnite installed on a hdd or ssd? Is that drive full?

That are the kind of questions I would look into before potentially bricking your gpu.

May 9, 2020
Yes, you could flash your gpu, but that wont fix your problem. Stutters and random dips in framerate are more likely cpu or ram problems. Also psu or storage are more likely than your gpu.

Is your cpu temp high under load? Could be thermal throtteling.
Is your ram correctly installed, runs in dual channel and is docp enabled?
Is fortnite installed on a hdd or ssd? Is that drive full?

That are the kind of questions I would look into before potentially bricking your gpu.
well so far this is my thoughts, im going to sell ryzen 5 2600 and buy 5 3600 and my ram should be installed correclty they are running dual channel with 3200 mhz and i have only 1 ssd so everything is in my ssd im going to buy a nvme for boot and ssd to keep games and i still haved 180gb left and i think my cpu holds up to 65 c max with gaming only but im going to change for another cpu cooler just to be safe since i want to overclock it too

I wouldn't be confident to say they are.

I know there is a high degree of commonality since I'm pretty sure they all use AMD's reference design but some key differences can make all the difference in how it operates. It's much better to match memory types...Samsung or Micron memory...so that memory will initialize with appropriate timings. It may be less important but also matching exact VRM controller and FET's so that's also initialized correctly.

Go look at reviews of your board to get some detailed information... GamerNexus' reviews are full of such details in anticipation that buyers will need it for this type of thing. Also read through the BIOS information for both your board and some of the prospect donor boards at the TPU website. And finally, even if you flash a bios with different memory and VRM it might work but just not as well as you'd like. So then...reflash with another BIOS that looks like a better match. Like I said, I was very lucky that I had an easy match for my Red Dragon as all I had to to was get the XT Red Dragon BIOS and it works perfectly.