[SOLVED] Flashing screens, drivers not loading & no signals.

kevakazi

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2012
Hey all,

In mid-November, I built a new PC. The specs are as follows:

Ryzen 5 3600
b450 Tomahawk Max
2x8gb ddr4 Corsair Vengeance LPX
Evga 550 B3

I then moved over my GPU from my old PC which is a 1070ti (which is only a year old) along with my SSDs.

Everything was working fine for the first few weeks and now, all of a sudden, I'm having a lot of issues. Firstly sometimes when I first boot the PC everything is in 360p like the Nvidia drivers haven't loaded, if I wait for about 2-3 minutes they then kick in, the screen flashes off and everything is correct.

Once I'm on and using the PC sometimes (and usually only within the first hour of turning it on, but not always) I get the screen flicking off for a few seconds then flicking back on. Before this happens if I'm watching a video I'll lose audio and the video starts playing in slow motion. And today for the first time I had the screen flick off 5 or 6 times every other minute and then it came up no signal detected on my monitor. Nothing I could do would get the picture back so I hard restarted the PC, it came back on and everything is working fine again.

I'm really confused as to what could be causing this. I don't think its the monitor as the PC actually seems like it freezes up briefly before flickering on and off. I should state as well, when I put in the new components I didn't do a fresh install of Windows, I merely moved the SSDs into the new system. Could it be a driver conflict and I need to reinstall Windows?

Any help is appreciated, I'm feeling defeated atm. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
I would start by making sure the PSU connections to the GPU are pushed in completely or maybe change cable from PSU if you have spare. Then
Download the latest drivers for your GPU place them on your desktop get
Display Driver Uninstaller from here
remove everything after restarting it will probably be 640x480 not great instal your AMD/NVIDIA drivers and hopefully should fix your problem
I would start by making sure the PSU connections to the GPU are pushed in completely or maybe change cable from PSU if you have spare. Then
remove everything after restarting it will probably be 640x480 not great instal your AMD/NVIDIA drivers and hopefully should fix your problem

Solution

kevakazi

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2012

I'll give this a go, thanks for the help.

kevakazi

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2012

So I managed to get a bit of time and try all this. I even did a completely fresh install of windows to rule out any driver conflicts and I'm still having the problem. It always happens when i turn on the PC after it's been off all night. It's like the PC warms up and the problems stop.

well a Evga 550 B3 is only a bronze PSU could be your problem as the 1070ti will want more power I would think. But first I would make sure your b450 Tomahawk Max is on the latest bios
to access the bios hammer the delete key before system boots up as soon powered on
have a fresh formatted FAT32 USB stick download the bios from motherboard manufacturer only stick the bios you just downloaded on the USB stick recommend at least 2 bios's even if old re-boot press the delete button repeatedly to get into your bios select system then update bios select usb device flash it leave it to do its thing then you should be good with your new bios
if done wrong will brick your motherboard

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
Evga g2/g3
Seasonic focus/prime
I would recommend an EVGA SuperNova Gold G2 / or new G3 /GS / GQ, Platinum P2 / PS, or Titanium T2 or a Seasonic M12-II Evo or S12-II
GOOD PSU EVGA is a B2, G2, G3, P2, GS, PS, or T2. Avoid the EVGA B1 and G1 series/ I bought a EVGA G3 with 7year garentee