walkingepidemic

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hi guys, I was wondering if it is possible to flash my Dell Dimension 4500's BIOS to a 3rd party one. I mainly want to do this so I could not only overclock, but I am also getting strange problems, such as the system not shutting down correctly, and the BIOS not saving my boot settings (have previously replaced CMOS battery, to no avail...), so if anyone could possibly help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
walkingepidemic

Solution
Its not a good idea to flash any bios, with a third party file. the result could render the laptop as a brick.
what I would do is save the old bios first, then download any new bios released by Dell them self for the laptop by Dell if they exist, or reflash the bios with the same bios firmware revision to see if the data in the bios is in some way corrupted.

poweruser_24

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
its possible, maybe. would it work, probably not. more likely to make toast of your MB.

The bios controls all the lovely IC's and chipset on your MB. As each manufacturer implements different IC's, and versions of IC's, then it is extremely unlikely a BIOS from one manufacturer will work on another's MB.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Its not a good idea to flash any bios, with a third party file. the result could render the laptop as a brick.
what I would do is save the old bios first, then download any new bios released by Dell them self for the laptop by Dell if they exist, or reflash the bios with the same bios firmware revision to see if the data in the bios is in some way corrupted.

Solution