Flashing Underscore on Boot (Windows 10)

ShadowStriker15

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
One random day when I came home and powered on my computer the display didn't even turn on. Just a black screen. After moving ram and pulling out the Motherboards battery I got it to a flashing underscore. I've played with the boot priority and to no avail. The BIOS do show and recognize my SSD with windows on it. How do I fix this? As I type this I'm also putting Windows 10 onto a flashdrive to boot with it. Will this fix it? Thanks for the help!

Solution
I fixed the problem by making a media boot of Windows 10 on a USB and booting from it. From there I was able to do a system restore to a week ago. Thank you guys for your help!

moulderhere

Distinguished
Please ensure you have fully reset the bios by unplugging the battery to fully reset it. After you reset it (as in load defaults in bios), please do a bios update to ensure full system stability.

This issue I see a lot on msi boards that have the wrong bios for skylake cpus.

ShadowStriker15

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

How do I do a bios update? Thanks for the help

ShadowStriker15

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

After the motherboard picture comes up a single flashing underscore (_) appears in the top left. When I do F8 it only allows me to pick which device to boot from... no safe mode with networking. Thanks for the help.

ShadowStriker15

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015

I'm just going to try and use a flashdrive with windows on it to try and get a system restore to a previous time. Does that sound like a good idea?

moulderhere

Distinguished

WHat motherboard do you have?
Goto the manufactor website to download the most recent bios.
Then enter the bios with the bios downloaded onto a usb flash drive. Usually inside the bios there is a bios update utility.

Please note, if you use the wrong bios file, or you loose power during the bios update, you WILL CAUSE YOUR MOTHERBOARD TO HAVE PERMANENT DAMAGE.

ShadowStriker15

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
I fixed the problem by making a media boot of Windows 10 on a USB and booting from it. From there I was able to do a system restore to a week ago. Thank you guys for your help!

Solution