flashlight in a folder

slmehl

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2001
It is sure easy to do some major damage ...

In order to see module version and module description for ocx, dll, etc. files, I did the following in the WINNT\system32 folder (view set to Details):

- right-clicked on one of the column headings in the right-hand side of the display to see the context menu
- selected the "More" context menu choice
- scrolled down to "Module Version" and placed a check mark in the box to its left
- scrolled down to "Module Description" and placed a check
mark in the box to its left
-exited the context menu

After a minute or so, module version and module description began appearing in those 2 new columns; this was the information that I wanted to see.

I then clicked on another folder name in the left-hand side of the Explorer display, and then clicked again in the WINNT\system32 folder.

The right side of the display was blank, and the flashlight' appeared and began to move left and right. After approx 5 minutes of this I figured I had a problem, and closed the explorer window.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Larry Mehl
mehl@cyvest.com

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
:smile: The answer is to turn off the verson and description collumns from your explorer bar.

System32 is a monster directory, with over 4000 and sometimes over 5000 files. You were asking windows to open each file and extract the version and descritpion... that's gonna take a long time, especiall in a compressed NTFS directory (and System32 should not be compressed unless you are willing to take a huge speed hit).

If you want to know the version etc. of a file, just right click it and select properties.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>

slmehl

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2001
I would turn off the verson and description columns from the explorer bar if the column headings were visible.

Either an hourglass or the flashlight is what is visible in the right-hand window.

Can you tell me how to get the column headings to be visible?