Flat Panel and Games

G

Does anyone who owns a flat panel have any problems with the refresh on first person shooters? I'm slowly putting together a new system and am looking at Flat Panels to save some space, but all the reviews I read talk about blurring with first person shooters. While I don't just use my computer for games, I do enjoy the occasional UT binge on the home network. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Life is bland without all the Spice.

wishmaster

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a Compaq TFT500 flat panel, and it works great for games. I play Unreal Tournament all the time, and I only notice a fantastic looking picture.

nalaree007

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
I have a Dell 150FP and allthough I'm pretty satisfied with it, it kind of sucks for gaming. It's great for reading text, but nothing beats a CRT for gaming and video.

G

I have a flat panel (Viewsonic VPD150 which is an older model) and don't have any problems with 3d shooters or any other game for that matter. You just have to be careful to check the data rate when you are shopping for a flat panel. Stay away from the el cheapo TFT's. If you are going to pay that much for a monitor, get a good one. My suggestions are Viewsonic and Samsung but make sure the model you are getting has a decent pixel rate.

G

I have done alot of research on Panel displays and found that one of the most important specs to look for is response time. This has to do with how fast a pixel will go from one color to another (this is different than refresh rate). I find that alot of manufacturer's don't include the information on the spec sheets. If you plan on playing games or doing anything that involves full motion video than you will want to get a display that has a response time less than 40ms. Anything that is 40ms or greater has a tendancy to have a ghosting effect with video and 3d. Hope this helps.

John Garrett
System Admin - www.elementk.com
Editor - Exploring Windows NT Professional

G

Yes, it does help. Especially with screen jitter.

John Garrett
System Admin - www.elementk.com
Editor - Exploring Windows NT Professional

G

I just got a Samsung SyncMaster 770TFT and have played a bit of Counterstrike on it. The two artifacts are:

(a) Pixellization if you're not set to the "natural" resolution of 1280x1024, which means pixellization on all games, since usually you're at 640x480 or 800x600. By pixellization I really mean that fine displays like text look like they are being crappily scaled. This isn't limited to games, of course. Really you need to be set to 1280x1024 with this monitor if you want crisp images.

(b) Blurring / after-imaging. When you swing the mouse around and a skyscraper whips by your field of view, you see 3 skyscrapers momentarily instead of just 1. I presume this is because the LCD's themselves don't really refresh at the 75Hz rate I'm set to.

That said, point (a) doesn't bother me while playing games, and I got accustomed to point (b) after about half an hour of playing. I don't even notice it anymore.

Tempshill

G

I got a philips 151ax about a year ago, it really is the best thing since sliced bread!!
Not a single problem with it that I can think of, I do \ lot of gaming, it's great to finish a game of ut without a headache!!
Best PC perhiperal I evre bought!