Flat temperature sensors

pandasaurus

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
So I'm looking to install some external temperature sensors, one on my CPU and one on a gpu, question I have is whas the safest/most accurate way to do so, sensors are simple flat sensors like in the image,
Presently running; MSI Krait Gaming 3x mobo, Intel i7-6700k, corsair h110igtx cooler, and ASUS strix 1060 6gb OC edition.
F7_CDD297_D8_C1_457_D_BD94_F5738_DDBA8_F5_3676_000002.png

Solution
That would be more trial and error than me saying yes or no, if you place the sensor too far from the heatsource the readings wont correspond to what your motherboard and the utilities see. Same goes for the GPU. * Disassembling the GPU's stock air cooler would negate your warranty provided you have stickers on the screws on of the cooler.

For all intents and purposes you're taking a round about approach to what is easily achievable with the route of overlays or a secondary monitor. People who use temp sensors usually have them slapped onto a cooling block or inside a custom watercooling loop to monitor the coolants temps or the delta of the heatsource and the cooling plate.

Lutfij

Titan
Placing the sensor as close as possible to the heat source is key here. You must be careful, placing that probe in/on the middle of your CPU would negate some heat transfer and negatively affect your temperatures.

My question is, why have it there in the first place, isn't the temperature readings found in BIOS sufficient? Are you running a custom watercooling loop? If not then the AIO's and the hardware already present are more than capable of outputting the right temps for your hardware.

pandasaurus

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Well, I know everything working properly and my numbers are great, I guess it's mainly about looks inside the case along with ability to see the numbers while, say, running games without running a second monitor or have all the numbers in the top corner of the screen/game or alt tabbing to hwinfo.
IMG_4978.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
With the sort of hardware componentry you have and the lack of a dedicated fan/pump controller like the Aquero XT you're not getting anything additional out of those extra few wires. In fact you're just having to deal with more cables.

My opinion, leave them as is+ secondary monitors double your productivity(outside of having a secondary app/overlay on it).

pandasaurus

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
The purpose is simply so they I can view the temperatures externally. I just want to know if it's safe for me to place the sensor along the edge of my processor between it and the h110igtx's block, also the safe way to place it on my gpu's processing unit safely.

Lutfij

Titan
That would be more trial and error than me saying yes or no, if you place the sensor too far from the heatsource the readings wont correspond to what your motherboard and the utilities see. Same goes for the GPU. * Disassembling the GPU's stock air cooler would negate your warranty provided you have stickers on the screws on of the cooler.

For all intents and purposes you're taking a round about approach to what is easily achievable with the route of overlays or a secondary monitor. People who use temp sensors usually have them slapped onto a cooling block or inside a custom watercooling loop to monitor the coolants temps or the delta of the heatsource and the cooling plate.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS